Front Walkway Redo

$150
1 Day

Our slate front walkway was in need of an update. The 2' x 3' slate flagstones had cracked in places and had shifted over the years, allowing weeds to invade. Fortunately, the stones were not mortared in so we were able to do this update on our own and much more quickly than I thought!
front walkway redo, concrete masonry
I measured the area of the total walkway and the area that the flagstones would cover to calculate the amount of paver base and pea gravel we'd need. First thing in the morning, we picked up our supplies from Lowe's and then started by selecting the five best stones and hauling the cracked ones away.
front walkway redo, concrete masonry
front walkway redo, concrete masonry
Once the stones were removed, we used an edger and a flat spade to excavate the dirt down a few inches (approx. 2" for the paver base and 1.5" for the flagstones and pea gravel). We then added metal edging, which by sheer luck came in 8' and 4' lengths which we combined for our 12' walkway.
front walkway redo, concrete masonry
To distribute the paver base, we placed the bags in a grid over the whole walkway area and then cut open the bags with the edger and dumped the base out.
front walkway redo, concrete masonry
We used a 10" x 10" tamper to pack down the base layer, then unrolled landscape fabric over the whole surface and used landscape staples to hold it in place. We used a recycled fabric made from soda bottles.
front walkway redo, concrete masonry
We placed and nudged the flagstones till they looked evenly distributed.
front walkway redo, concrete masonry
We filled in around the flagstones with pea gravel, hauled off the unused materials, replaced the mulch in adjoining beds, hosed the whole thing off and went and had a beer to celebrate!
front walkway redo, concrete masonry
UPDATE: It's a month later and I just wanted to report on how the pea gravel has worked for us. It has gotten on the flagstones a bit here and there, and the walkway overall was not practical when we had a new refrigerator delivered. But other than that we're very happy with the look and materials! Here's an updated photo where the landscaping has grown in, the trim has been painted and we've added planted pots and new house numbers.

• Mar32840427

Why didn't you use two rows of pavers instead of one?

• Beth

The pavers are so large that, had they chosen to use two rows, they might as well have just paved the whole walkway!

• Mis7481034

What brand of weed block fabric did you use?

• Shuganne

Kristen, first your picture, is it from about 8 years old? It's so cute, I may have to borrow your idea for my bio.

I'm wondering if you are still happy with the pea gravel or did you switch to something else? Pea gravel just never seems to settle in.

There's something new to me called polymeric sand. You sweep it into the cracks between the your slate and into the pea gravel and gently mist it with a garden hose. The polymers set up like grout to hold those wiggly peas in place. Just a thought. I'm redoing my sidewalk and I want it to have a loose stone edging like yours. It's gorgeous!

• June

I did a little patio with the polymer sand and I loved it, it is now almost 2 years old since I did it and it stays very strong it was so much easier than dealing with Seamit little more expensive but would probably be perfect for laying down on that on the Pea gravel! I was able to do this all by myself and I am 75 years old so that kind of tells you how much easier it was, This is the picture of the little patio I did with the polymeric sand!😊

• Heje

The walkway looks very nice and goes well with the siding on your house.

• Yes, Absolutely. It’s just Beautiful & Accents the front Walkway great !!! I Love It ♥️♥️♥️♥️