How to Fix Your Mini Blinds!

$6.00

I don't know what it is about my kids, but they love to break the mini blinds in our apartment. These horizontal blinds are cheap to replace... unless your apartment complex does it for you at $50 each. Ouch! As a frugal mom with four kids, I didn't want to pay to replace three different blinds in our home. So, I figured out how to fix broken mini blinds and saved myself some major money and it was surprisingly VERY easy!
how to fix your mini blinds , home improvement, how to, window treatments, windows
If you have broken blinds like these because of kids (or pets)... or broken ones that look like this:
you do NOT actually have to replace the whole thing! Even though the least expensive mini blinds are around $5 each, I repaired three sets of blinds for $6 (the cost of the mini blinds in the size I needed). These mini blinds above were pretty trashed, so I replaced the entire thing with a new set of blinds and then used the remainer good slats on this one to fix all the other broken mini blinds in my home.
These are the slats I wanted to replace.
First, you'll grab a flat head screwdriver (or a butter knife would work) to pop off the plastic tabs on the right side and the left side on the bottom of the blinds (leave the middle one).
Inside you'll find a knot. I had to get a pair of long-nosed tweezers to grab the knot and pull it out.
Now untie the knot.
Next you'll start unthreading that center string out from all the slats to right above the broken ones.
To see the rest of the tutorial head over to my blog: http://www.whatsupfagans.com/2016/04/fix-mini-blinds-kids-destroyed/

• Mini Blinds Slats  (Lowes)
  • Flat head screwdriver  (toolbox)
  • Long nose Tweezer

Katelyn Fagan

• Grace Hibdon

Not a question, the link to the tutorial isn't working.

• Susan

The cord on my vertical blind that turns the blind came off is there a way to fix Thor easily????

• Abe Oswal

Folks:

The part I need is the white plastic case, that holds the red wheel shown in the photos of Pella Slimshade Blinds made in 1997 by Pella. I can send you these photos if you can send your email address.

I called Pella, they call this part assembly (Red wheel with white supporting case) “Pella Shade Break”.

Can you please check if you carry this white plastic case part, or the red wheel assembled with it? If so, how much would that cost me, if need several of these for my 1997 vintage Pella Windows with sandwiched Slimline Blinds between two glass panes?

Regards

Abe Oswal

Landline 858-756-5613 (Try first, more reliable)

Cell: 858-353-4480

San Diego, CA

• 861650

I remember seeing this previously and immediately went to work fixing my blinds. Then, another broke about three slats from the top. No problem. I slid those slats out in no time. Felt like a pro! LOL! At the same time, I made them to fit the window. This is one of the best DIY's I've ever read! Am thanking you BIG TIME!
  • Linda Robbins

I've been doing this for many years for my daughter, when she leaves her apartments. This last move was a little different as it had one mini blind that did not have the cords to raise and lower but rather were spring loaded so you used your hands to raise and lower. What I discovered the hard way was that I had to tie off the cords that ran through the binds after I pulled them out of the slats that needed to be replaced. If I didn't the springs would snap them up into the header. It took several tries before I got it right. Hint: don't have a 14 year old with ADHD help you that doesn't want to help. LOL!

• Leah

Understand the adhd part. I was taught to give them a choice. I will do this for you if you do this for me properly. Or you do this with me properly or no video games for ??? Just follow through. When you give them a choice it makes them feel in control.