DIY Football Field Wall

$50

My son is a huge football fan, so 3 years ago we painted one of the walls in his bedroom green thinking we'd turn it into a football field... and now, 3 years later, we finally got around to completing it. (Nothing like a little procrastination, right?)
Here's where the room started. One green wall... and messy, I might add.
We started with the field lines. I found some faux wood (aka styrofoam-like) strips that measured 8 feet in length. We trimmed them to account for the baseboards and applied double-sided tape to the back. (We thought long and hard about how to secure these strips to the wall. We didn't think nails would work well with the styrofoam-ish material, and we thought liquid nails would be harder on the wall than the double-sided tape. I know this may still cause a slight problem with removal, but we thought it was the lesser of the evils... If you use true wood, I would definitely go with nails.)
Using my vinyl cutting machine, I created the field numbers and end zones. I still cannot believe how amazing this wall turned out! You can find the full tutorial, and the end result, HERE.

We ended up doing an entire room makeover in football fashion, so there are a ton of fun elements in this space including a faux locker bay using the closet doors.

You can see the full room reveal using the link below.

17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Everything Red For Canada Day
Erin

• Tracey hamm
    Tracey hamm

What do u buy exactly to do the white strips and numbers if u don't have a machine

• Lois Perman
    Lois Perman

Cool Idea, I would be tempted to use chalkboard pain and that way could change the opposing team name etc.

• Erin
      Erin

@Lois Perman Chalkboard paint is certainly an option. Since the vinyl is removable, it would only take about 15 minutes to change a team name, which seems pretty reasonable, and I don't have to worry about messing up the lettering (which I'm fairly confident I would do :) ).

• Kay boyd
    Kay boyd

Why didn't u paint lines

• Erin
      Erin

@Kay boyd Good question. The reason I chose not to paint the lines is because painting is not my forte. I was so afraid I would mess them up or not get them straight, being that I'd have to create (in total) 22 8 foot straight lines. Painting is certainly an option though.