Debra
Debra
  • Seymour, CT
Asked on Jun 17, 2013

Chalk paint

Jeannie ScottDebraMary Insana
+13

With so many people making their own chalk paint now how come the company that sell the original chalk paint have not come down on their prices making it more affordable for those of us that can't afford to buy the originals? I would defiantly buy from the retails if I could afford it.
  • Jeannie Scott

Benjamin Moore is now carrying Chalk Paint in all colors but I haven't checked prices.

• Debra

Thank you I will have to check that out. I think the prices they charge for the chalk paint is crazy.

• Angie

wow Jeannie - didnt know BM was carrying chalk paint. need to go check it out and try it :)

• Mary Insana

I have a store right down the street. I'll have to check it out.

• Pat S

Good question! I will be checking out BM soon but in the meantime I just painted a small microwave cart using Plaster of Paris.

• Lynne

i would like to use the chalk paint, but with gutting my kitchen, and bath i just don't have the money. i have a lot of projects that i would like to paint

• Jeannie Scott

I am not an experienced DIY painter but I usually check out what is available on Amazon before making a purchase. They have tons of Milk Paint and Chalk Paint but I have no idea how they stack up with Annie Sloan or Miss Mustard Seed's Paints. I do know there is cheaper out there!

• Suzette Daniels

If you look on Hometalk or Pinterest you can find recipes to make your own chalkpaint.

• Debra

I usually use the Plaster of Paris as well. But I would like to try the original as well. I am going to see how much it cost at BM. and I well post back after I find out.

• Debra

I just called BM to ask about the chalk paint and they said the only chalk paint the have is the chalk board paint for children to right on. They do not have what AnnSloan has. So now I am confused a little about were Jeannie heard that they have it unless she is think of the chalk board paint. Do you think it is the same thing?

• Vintage Storehouse & Co.

Benjamin Moore only offers Chalk Board Paint. If you're looking for an inexpensive solution for chalk paint I have 2 options for you: DIY recipes. Plaster of Paris works the best. Or... Chalk Paint Powder. 2 brands that I know of are Websters Chalk Paint Powder and Blue Minerals Chalk Paint Powder. I use Blue Minerals.

• Vintage Storehouse & Co.

Just an FYI... Chalk Board paint and Chalk Paint are different in that Chalk Board paint is a flat paint that can be written on with chalk and wiped away... it does not have the same "gripping" or "distressing" characteristics as chalk paint that everyone loves. You still have to sand and prime the piece with Chalk Board Paint the same way you would with regular latex.

• Debra

OH that clears that up, thank you. He did say they can make the chalk board in any color that you want which is good but also it cost about 40.00 he said. Still up there. I am going to try the powder ones that you recommended. Thank you very much.

• Mary Insana

@Debra I called the Benjamin Moore that I usually go to and they said they never heard of them carrying chalk paint. He did say he would check and call me back when he has an answer. He wanted to make sure bigger stores don't carry it since they are a small store. I started out telling them not chalk board paint. and he asked me what chalk paint was used for and I filled him in.

• Debra

I think it would be great if they did carry it but I think the price will still be high (unfortunately)

• Jeannie Scott

I actually saw a TV ad for BM chalk paint and they did not call it chalk board paint. Sounds as if that is the confusion. And doesn't sound as if we can save any money!! Thanks for all the info, as I stated I am all new at this and these conversations have been very helpful especially White Cottage Boutique. I will check out your suggestions!!