Leather Coat to Business Card Holders...

$15

I put together a DIY Segment for show based on entrepreneurs so I prepared this great little upcycle that you'd be proud to pull out of your purse when passing along your business cards ;)
For this DIY I used a leather coat that I picked up at a secondhand shop, a leather punch, scissors, screw post button studs, gold leaf and gold leaf adhesive and small paint brush for applying the leaf adhesive.
And you can find the patterns for square and rectangle cards over on the original blog post on my website! Link below!
I started by taking the leather coat apart at the seams... cutting away any lining or interfacing to get a good piece of seamless leather... as you can see depending on the size of the coat you get you can whip up a few of these - they make sweet gifts for your boss babe friends ;)
Print out the pattern onto card stock and cut it out... use that pattern as a template and trace the shape onto your piece of leather... be sure to transfer the little hole marks too...
Once you've just out the shape punch the two wing and bottom holes with the smallest hole of the punch... then take your button stud post and fold over the two sides threading the holes you punched int he wings down over the post...
...then fold the bottom flap up and place the hole over the post... once these three piece are threaded on screw the button stud onto the post...
... now with the button stud in place punch the hole that will go down over the button stud to keep the business card holder closed... now don't make it as big as the button stud... make it just a little smaller - the leather will stretch over the hole giving you a secure business card holder :)
I found it best to work from the smallest hole and test it... if it is taking too much pushing to get it to close then move up one hole size and test the closure again...
Originally I'd assembled the finished leather side out... and found that this colour of leather looked sort of boring... so I undid the button stud and laid the piece with the leather side up and refolded in the sides and bottom, securing them with the button stud with the suede side out...
That was more like it... more my style... soft and natural...
... but of course this wouldn't be a Feathering My Nest DIY if I didn't show you a version that has been kicked up a few notches ;)
Here I've applied gold leaf to the suede of the business card holder so that it peeks out at the sides from underneath the top flap when it is closed.
To gold leaf the suede apply a layer of the adhesive sizing to the area where you would like to apply the leaf... the suede will drink up the first coat of sizing so once that one sets apply a second coat and let it set until it is tacky... then apply your gold leaf, gently pressing it into place and brushing away the excess leaf with a clean, soft, dry brush.

• Leather Jacket  (Second Hand Store)
  • Leather Tools - punch, button studs  (Craft Supply Store)
  • Gold Leaf and gold leaf adhesive sizing  (Craft Supply Store)

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Feathering My Nest - Lacey Haskell

• M. M..

Beautiful! Would having the suede side on the inside rub off any color onto the edges of the cards? Things seem to move around a lot in my purse and cards always get rubbed and dingy on the sides, even in a holder.. Thanks!