Kenya
Kenya
  • Mableton, GA

Is there a downside to directional boring?

Plumber26Ricardo BPlumbrite
+2

We have to repair a water line in our yard and have several quotes. The one from our usual plumber is higher than another company who uses this technique. It seems like much less of a disruption to the yard, but we're not sure about switching plumbers. (The new one is experienced and qualified also though). The old plumber decided he will match the price but we will still have to have some concrete pulled up and replaced. What are your thoughts?
  • Plumber26

I would call your local inspections dept. to see what they say. Our area will not allow it b/c the inspector wants to see pipe depth, material, things of that nature. I'm assuming your plumber and/or the other guy are pulling a permit for this job?

• KMS Woodworks

I my area...most dig regular "trenches" as we live in the ROCKY Mountains..Our frost depths are 5 feet on average and the boring machine have trouble with those depths for plumbing work...there are more common for electric.

• Plumbrite

Other than the cost I am not aware of a downside, I have worked with several companies doing this, and have never had a problem.

• Ricardo B

The less disruption of the upper terrestrial, the BETTER! I say... DO IT. The only downside is a possible collapse while boring... The solution though is easy... bore to the side of it. The only thing lost is a little extra drilling time.

• Plumber26

Ricardo, normally they bore the hole and pull back a sleeve though to run your pipe in. I mean, it's an awesome way to do the job without destroying the yard. Just that some inspectors want to see the pipe in the ground (or be difficult, whatever you want to call it) ;-P