Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL

Unknown creature under fake grass

PamKathy RSherrie S
+6

I have a dog run with fake grass next to cement blocks on the house. The dog run has 5-6" of rock covered by fake grass. This has been installed for well over 8 years. About 2 weeks ago I saw some of the rock from under the fake grass on top of the grass. I moved it all back and today saw twice as much rock on the fake grass. Any ideas?
  • Kathy R

Might be a bird.

• Sherrie S

What kind of bird? This would be a horrible place for any bird/animal. The open area I can see is small but the number of small rocks moved from under the fake grass far exceed the little open area.

• Pam

Could it be a mole or armadillo? Is there a hole through the fake grass down into the ground?

• Sherrie S

Pam D, the small hole is not in the fake grass; it is between the fake grass and the cement on the house. Armadillo is wayyyyyy too big for the little area. A mole, maybe but I thought they enjoyed the yard more than a stone dog run with fake grass.

• Kathy R

Some birds use rocks to make nests. Just an idea.

• Sherrie S

I called my yard care/exterminator and he said it was a raccoon who decided there is something tasty under fake carpet & stone. He said that as soon as he doesn't find food he will leave. I don't want to harm the animal so he said I could put cayenne pepper in that area. I think I'll wait a week & see what happens. I understand they eat bugs and other nasty things. May the raccoon join the turkeys, ducks, possoms, sand hill cranes, bear,hawks and whatever else resides in my backyard.

• Sherrie S

Thank you Kathy R & Pam D. Who would have guessed a raccoon? Let's see what happens next.

• Kathy R

LOL love those critters.

• Pam

Who would have thought a raccoon would be the culprit. Animals are such interesting creatures. At least you know the way to keep him away without harming him. Cayeene pepper is a good way to keep critters at bay. Thanks for keeping us posted with the results.