Dianne
Dianne
  • Millington, TN

I have never seen a climbing Hydrangea but a neighbor of a friend has what I believe is one...I have a photo of a cuttin

Sarah SaundersDav8628106Annie Doherty
+28

q i have never seen a climbing hydrangea but a neighbor of a friend has what i believe, flowers, gardening, hydrangea
  • Walter Reeves

yep - looks like Hydrangea anomala

• Rhonda G

Climbing hydrangeas are great for partial shady areas. Love putting these in the landscape.

• Linda B

These are often seen here in VA. We have one that climbs up our chimney on a lattice made from slices of different sizes of PVC pipe that have been cut into 1" slices and glued together.

There are many gardeners who would consider them the king of vines. Beautiful in an out of flower, and even has wonderful exfoliating bark. They are slow to establish, but will grow to terrific size once they get going.

• Cecilia F

It's definitely a climbing hydrangea. I work in a garden center and know my plants pretty well. Feel free to ask me anything!! :)

• Gynarchy B

Hi Cecilia. I was hoping you can give me some advice on how to make my hydrangea grow faster and healthy. I have bought a galon hydrangea and just planted them. Do you know how long it takes for it to grow bushy and flowery? I live in Mid- GA. Thanks!

What type of hydrangea did you buy, Gynarchy?

• Rebecca D

It was 3 to 5 yrs. before I saw blooms on my Climbing Hydrangea! Worth the wait.

• Gynarchy B

Douglas, it's called"forever and ever summer lace hydrangea.

Ah, Gynarchy, that is a beautiful lacecap hydrangea, and it is supposed to bloom on new and old wood. Frustrating as it may be for the gardener, since you just planted these, what you really want them to concentrate on is producing a good, healthy root system, which you won't be able to see, but will reward you when the plant really takes off next year. Make sure it is getting regular, deep waterings, and, I hope you worked in some good soil amendments before you planted.

• Gynarchy B

Douglas, thank you. I am a little bit anxious about it. I planted them where my backyard faucet is located and i totally do not know if it's going to affect the plant as i may over water it. That area gets flodded sometimes. Should i transfer my hygrangea?

An area that gets flooded is probably not the best for a hydrangea, although they will sulk mightily in a drought.

• Gynarchy B

Douglas, so should i dig them up?

If they have not been in the ground in that long, and you have an area that would provide more closely what they need (morning sun, afternoon shade, well-draining but moist soil), I would certainly move them.

• Gynarchy B

oh Douglas, i forgot to tell you that my hydrangea is getting afternoon sun only.

That's not ideal, Gynarchy. If you can put them in a spot where they get morning sun and afternoon shade, they would be much happier.

• Rebecca D

The climbing Hydrangeas wood, is beautiful in the winter

You're so right, Rebecca. That's one of the things that makes it a great multi-season plant.

• Joann Jarvis

Question, my step daughter gave me a beautiful Hydrenga for Mother's Day, It' not Planted yet. I want to plant it in a pot because I don 't have a garden patch. I live in a mobile home with a very limited area for plants, so, I wonder if I can grow the plants in a container? advise appreciated

• Gynarchy B

Douglas, thank you so much. I will transfer my hydrangea under a tree. Is that good?

Unless the tree creates really dense shade, yes. Don't plant it too close so it won't have to compete with the tree's roots.

• Gynarchy B

Ok. Thank you so much. You have always been helpful.

You're most welcome, Gynarchy. Good luck with your "move."

• Sharon Romine

I have a climbing hydrangea that I grow in Sitka, Alaska, average summer temp 60-70. It's about 4 years old and has never bloomed. It gets morning sun, afternoon shade. There are others in my area that I see blooming, some of which I know get no maintenance at all. Mine has beautiful growth, now climbing the side of a building, just no buds of any kind. Any help appreciated

Climbing hydrangeas are notoriously slow to bloom, Sharon. If your hydrangea is happy, eventually it should perform for you.

• Linda B

You can also design and train your climbing hydrangea into beautiful shapes. when it's not producing flowers, it's producing beautiful flora.

• Wanda sinnema

I have a MOP HEAD variety, next to the faucet. Its under an overhand and actually does better than the others what get less water. I too flood it from time to time, when I forget to turn off the hose all the way. I DID plant the crown or it up 2-3 inches above the soil to be safe.

• Annie Doherty

I have a climbing hydrangea, as above mine took at least two years to flower, but it is thirsty and like a bit of shade usually. My hydrangea is in full sun bit growing up a stone wall and it's thriving? I do talk to it though, like Prince Charles :)

• Dav8628106

I had a beautiful climbing hydrangea growing up my chimney. It took to about 5 years to really take off (it was on the east side of the house), but when it did, it was gorgeous. Unfortunately, after about 5 years, we noticed it was tearing the chimney apart. My husband took it down; I couldn't even watch. Be careful where you plant.

• Sarah Saunders

It looks like a hydrangea petiolaris, hope the spelling is right, and I know that mine took ages, couple of years to flower. Mine was climbing up and over a pergola. Unfortunately the pergola was getting old and rotting in places. We get some terrible winds here and it blew down last year.