Dianne
Dianne
  • Millington, TN

Can anyone tell me what this is at top of my Iris....Are they seed pods?

Rodrigo SebidosAnnie DohertySuzette T
+24

q can anyone tell me what this is at top of my iris are they seed pods, gardening
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Yes, they are. The theory is that the seed pods rob energy from the roots and you will get less bloom next year if you allow them to remain on the plant.

• Walter Reeves

But you could let one go ahead and turn brown and collect the seed inside. Plant them immediately and you'll have interesting blooms in a couple of years.

• Faidra at CA Global Inc

I have the same thing w/my tulips, is the same true.

• Dianne

thanks so very much...may try it....& yes, I have seen it on my tulips also but cut them off...

• Susan S

@Dianne - I'm so glad you asked that question about the "pods" forming on the Iris. Since I'm a bit farther north, my Iris are just coming into full bloom now so no pods yet. I've always wondered if I was supposed to whack them off or what? Mostly I don't bother and my Iris are just as full and lush as ever. SOOOOO, it's a little confusing. If you can plant the seeds from the pods but it's the rhizomes that you need to divide in order to propagate . . . . Maybe I'll let some of the pods turn to seed & cut the rest off and see what happens!!

• Sue Kiene

@Susan S You can get new babies started with the seed but it will take a while (years) to get them to the point of blooming which is why you split, purchase and share rhizomes. If you went to the store and purchased the seed think how disappointed you would be that you did not get instant gratification with a flower.

• Toqua B

I have had MANY iris's over the years and have NEVER seen these pods. Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

• Linda B

Yes, just as the rose will put out rose hips if you do not dead head the plant, so will the iris.I have never tried to plant any because Iris's are propogated by rhizomes...

• Sandra R

I do believe these are seed pods, I've never let mine develope.

• Paul M

Yep those are seed pods alright.

• Martha B

seed pods

• Ann S

wrap cheesecloth around them and let dry on there then you can remove the cheesecloth and have your seeds ready to plant

• Barbara R

careful not to let the seeds fall and germinate, if you have other irises in the same bed you could cross polinate risking losing the original one later on

• Kathy G

never seen this with any of my irises. peculiar

• Linda E

I would think its seed pods but yet it may be another bloom. Not sure

• Millie C

yes they are seed pods

• Judy J

Break them open and spinkle some in your garden. All you got to do is water.and they will come up.

• LCGPetrey

Look like seed pods but don't open until they've matured. They'll probably pop open all by themselves.

• DORLIS

Keep an eye on them and when they do open, plant them. You never do know what color you will get.

• Susan

I have never seen this-how interesting!

• Suzette T

As an old Iris Grower & lover of past decades. I just had to make a comment. To the few above who said they have never been on their own or ever, I simply can not imagine, and I am envious. For at this time of year I am constantly cutting down seed stems. Today, for example, I have cut off thus far 428 pods. Yes, you read that correctly, I give so many away and then there are those I literally scatter in the wind. Long Road trips along interstates I sincerely do throw all sorts of seeds indigenous to the region to have beautify the barren center regions. Many years later I have been lucky enough to see so many areas I recognize as having set seeds that grew many lovely pop up flower patches that everyone can enjoy.

• Suzette T

Please accept my apology for such a late and delayed response. I would be more then happy to send you Iris seeds as many as you'd like.

• Annie Doherty

What a lovely generous gesture scattering seeds and brightening up peoples lives, I wished I live in the US and had seed pods like these, they are amazing as are you.

• Annie Doherty

Sorry I should have addressed this post to Suzette.

• Rodrigo Sebidos

Irises produce a dry dehiscent fruit called capsule. Capsules differ from pods (Legumes) by splitting into several sutures before releasing the seed inside while pods generally split in two suture as in Legumes.​

• Annie Doherty

You are absolutely correct Rodrigo, I recall these seed pods in my Grandfather's garden and once recall it bursting with a very loud pop and watching the seeds scattering. Thank you for sharing.

• Rodrigo Sebidos

Welcome, Anne