Val L
Val L
  • Henderson, NV

What is the easiest way to change the color of grout?

Ricardo BPunky brewsterPaul M
+4

• Pam

I have only seen white grout color paint pens. I thought about trying an artist brush and oil base paint but my tile is floor tiles and all over my condo. I had brown grout when they laid my tile but after I sealed the grout, the sealer made it lighter in some places. I would like the grout darker like chocolate. I picked the darkest grout that Lowes had but it's not dark enough for me. Hopefully you get some responses that will help both of us.

• Paul M

Grout shields is the easiest way to change the color of grout and protect it at the same time.

• Terri J

Grout Shield is a hometalk company with a site that shows colors and gives info. You may want to check them out - I loved what I learned.

• Best method is to have a professional remove the old and replace with new. There are tons of products that claim to recolor your old grout and make it look new again. But if the old grout was ever sealed, and it should be, the stain does not penetrate much more then the top surface which will wear out in short order when you scrub the tile to clean it. But if the grout was never sealed, and the stain is allowed to penetrate, you may be in luck.

• Paul M

Grout Shield is the easiest, fastest, most permanent and cost effective way to change grout color. Removing and replacing work but it is time consuming, and difficult for a DIY project. Grout Shield works, I have used it on several different areas with several different colors with great results in every area. Take a look at this and you can get some idea of how this system works. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOPlJAG6dUE

• Punky brewster

Paint it

• Ricardo B

There is a fast, furious (but temporary) way: Start with a sparkly clean surface. Take anything like a church key or anything pointed and score the grout (Don't gouge too deep). Put a on a thin layer of the pigmented grout of choice (the scored original grout). Seal it and enjoy it! If some of the new grout washes off or leaches, just go over that area more carefully. Then, next month, you can change the grout to another color...