Modern Masters
Modern Masters
  • Vernon Hills, IL

Summer Garden Decor How-to With Metal Effects Kits

Summer is almost here and it's a wonderful time to spruce up your garden with gorgeous patina decor accents! Our new Metal Effects kits make it easy to bring the look of copper, bronze and even rust patinas to your outdoor decor. We frequently work with Debbie Hayes of My Patch of Blue Sky on creative projects such as this one and we're excited to share her latest results. Let's take a closer look.
summer garden decor how to with metal effects kits, container gardening, crafts, gardening
With Metal Effects, you can update any paintable surface in minutes with beautiful results. Each kit comes complete with full instructions, all of the products you need to cover 1 to 2 square feet. In the kit you'll find:
One 2-ounce Primer
One 2-ounce Oxidizing Copper or Bronze Metallic Paint or Iron Reactive Paint
One 2-ounce Patina Aging Solution or Rust Activator & a Spritzer Cap Attachment
You just need a drop cloth or plastic to protect the area you work in, a container, and a paint brush.
Here you can see how Debbie started with a plain concrete head that was in need of a little more character.
Below you can see how she began priming the piece with the Metal Effects Primer which is a unique water base, acrylic primer designed to block Patina Aging Solutions & Rust Activator from reaching the surface of your substrate.
Prime the surface with 2 coats of the Metal Effects Primer, allow half an hour between coats and 2 hours for final drying time.
Now, you're ready to apply the Bronze Reactive Metallic Paint.
Paint the primed surface with 1 coat of Reactive Bronze Metallic Paint and allow to dry half an hour. Our Reactive Metallic Paints contain REAL metal particles that will patina or rust over time if left to the elements. You can speed up this patina process by using our patina activators as well for almost instant results.
Next, attach the spritzer cap to the Blue Patina Aging Solution bottle and keep it handy for this next step.
Apply the second coat of Reactive Bronze Metallic Paint, and while the paint is still wet, spray on a light coating of Blue Patina Aging Solution over the entire surface. As the activated surface dries over 30 to 40 minutes, a real blue patina finish will appear.
Now that you have a gorgeous patina, what about protecting it? While the Rust Finish may require a topcoat (included in the kit), no protection is required for both the Blue(Bronze) and Green(Copper) Patina Kits.
The smaller kits (2oz) are available in Hobby Lobby while the larger kits (8oz) are available online at TheHomeDepot.com.
We hope you've enjoyed seeing how fun and easy it can be to bring a unique burst of color to your garden decor - and more! Join us on the blog for more inspiration via the link below.

To see more: http://modernmasterscafe.com/2016/03/24/how-to-metal-effects-patinas-for-garden-accents/

• Happygirl Bailey

Where did you find your planter? Love it!!

• Martha O'Brian

Beautiful results, can I use is on a lightweight resin bust I wonder? Well, off to my favorite Hobby Lobby location to pick some up, even if I never use it, at least my money will be well spent.
  • Sli9838737

I inherited an old, worn concrete bird bath. Do you think this method would work for me? I love what you did with your piece!
  • Delores

Beautiful! I also would like to know where you came upon your planter bust😊😍