Carla Harrod Hampton
Carla Harrod Hampton
  • Indianapolis, IN
Asked on Jun 17, 2013

What can I do to improve my soil. It is mostly clay.

Debbie / Dragonfly TreasureCynthiaCarla Harrod Hampton
+5

I am trying to start all over with my flower bed that is up against the back of my house but the clay soil is horrible for growing anything. Any ideas on improving the soil or what to grow?
  • Susie

Gypsum incorporated into the clay will slowly break it down and allow amendments to improve soil and prep for planting.

• Celeste S

Compost has helped me with the clay soil here in Arizona.

• Connie White

Mix sand into the soil, doesn't allow the clay to clump, allows roots to spread

I would start by getting a soil test, which you can probably do inexpensively through your local extension service. This will tell you what you soil needs and give you a starting point. Generally speaking, incorporating as much organic material possible is the way to go with clay.

• Catherine Smith

Agree with Douglas. I'm sure your IN clay soil is just as big a pain as our VA red clay. LOL So a soil test is the way to go, it will give you a good idea of what amendments need to be added and how much. If you don't have a compost bin, I suggest setting one up for yourself. Compost is "black gold" and your soil will thank you for adding it regularly. :)

• Carla Harrod Hampton

Thanks so much! I will give it all a try.

• Cynthia

I'm in GA with solid clay soil. I opted for creating berms with compost, peat and vermiculite. It stays loose, plants seem to love it and it's easier to pull weeds. Berms also create more interest than just flat garden area.