Nancy Rhodes C
Nancy Rhodes C
  • Bessemer, AL

My garlic has bent stalks and has grown round growths at the tips. Why won't it bloom? When should I harvest???

Em HooperMeem KaplanDouglas Hunt
+6

• Squall

those are probably the scapes. Search youtube for harvesting garlic, there's a few ways but one you can cut off the scape and then wait till the plant dries out, then you should be able to harvest.

• Nancy Rhodes C

Squall, this is priceless information. I cannot wait to start cutting and cooking these scapes. This will be my caviar. Thank you so very much.

Garlic scapes are delicious! Try making pesto with them.

• KMS Woodworks

here is a nice video...from my neck of the woods. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-MX1jRcJbU

• Nancy Rhodes C

Douglas, I have 6 basil plants in my little garden. I could live off Pesto if my digestive system would tolerate it. Can't wait. Thank you.

• Nancy Rhodes C

Well, I rushed out this morning only to find the stalks had straightened up and the scapes had bloomed the usual flower - all but one. I brought it in but the stem is too hard. Am I supposed to put the seeded pod in my pesto? Haven't tasted anything yet but it sure smells good.

I've only used the scapes themselves for pesto. You can cut off the flowers and use them as plate decorations.

• Meem Kaplan

I like the flowers in salads.

• Em Hooper

Scapes should be cut off so the bulb will mature. You can chop them up and cook or eat raw. If you let them flower, then the bulb stops growing.