Jayme
Jayme
  • Bellaire, MI
Asked on Jun 18, 2013

What is Happening to My Iris?

April EBonnie LewenzaLuis
+5

This is the only one of my Irises that this is happening to. At this time it does not seem to be affecting its flowering ability.
what is happening to my iris, gardening

It looks like fungal leaf spot and is easily controlled with a fungicide. See this from the American Iris Society: http://www.irises.org/About_Irises/Cultural%20Information/Pests_Diseases.html

• Debby Boyle

It looks to me that it got sprayed by something.

• Nancy Hand

Looks like fungal leaf spot. You can get a fungicide at a garden center.

• Luis

Jayme this is from American Iris Society as Douglas mentioned: Fungal Leaf Spot presents as small circular to oval spots on the leaves, turning yellowish to brown and often developing a distinct red-brown border. The pathogen is Didymellina macrospora. It can affect all bearded irises, Siberians, I. versicolor and the xiphiums, known as Dutch irises. The more rain you have the more prevalent it becomes. It is easy to control with the use of a fungicide and a sticker-spreader in your sprayer. Apply in the fall and early spring before infection. If infected, tip cut the affected leaves and apply again. Maneb have been proven effective. Check with your local authorities as to pesticide and fungicide use.

• Jayme

@Luis what is a sticker-spreader? I have a sprayer, but have never heard of the term.

• Luis

I know what a Spreder-sticker is: SPREADER-STICKER: a material or combination of materials added to sprays that causes the spray to spread and to stick to the sprayed foliage I wonder if this is what you are talking about

• Bonnie Lewenza

It could be late frost on it, this is how my yucca leaves look when we have a late frost.

• April E

jayme a sticker spreader is also called a surfactant and you can make your own by adding a small amount of ivory dish detergent to you spray mix