Napkin Folding 101 - Napkin Pockets

1 Material
$0

Yesterday I posted my 4th of July tablescape called "3 Cheers for the Red, White, and Blue." What I did not include in that post was how to fold the napkins to make what I call silverware pockets. In yesterday's post, I used bandanas, but I have chosen another style of napkin here to make the "layers" easier to see. So, grab a square napkin of any size and let's get started.
Step 1 - Fold your napkin into fourths, so you have a smaller square. Place the napkin on a table or hard surface with the folds to your right and at the bottom.
Now take the top left corner of the first layer and fold it under itself so that it forms a triangle.
Next take the top left corner of the second layer and fold it under itself, but not quite as much as you folded the first layer. You want a bit of this layer to show underneath the first. See below.
Repeat with the third layer, again making sure a bit of this peeks out under the top two layers.
Leave the bottom layer u folded, and carefully turn the napkin over. You will be looking at a square. Fold approximately one third of the left side of the. Asking back onto the remaining two thirds
Take the right side and fold it up onto the rest.
Now, carefully turn your napkin over, and you should have a lovely silverware pocket.
Ta da!

• Square napkins, any size, but suggest at least 12x12

• Jacalyn

Totally understand. LIsa! That's why I tried to post so many photos. I think I know where the problem is. I am assuming you got the 3 layers folded under and have turned the square over. The "goal" of the next couple of steps is to make the square a long rectangle approximately one-third as wide as the square before folding. Make sense? If that is where you are, take the left side of the napkin (all layers) and fold approximately one-third of it up and back on the rest of the original square. Now do the same from the right side. When you turn it over, you should have your pocket. Hope this helps! It is not hard to fold, but it is hard to describe. Good luck! If it doesn't work, let me know, and we'll try again. 😉

• Chloe Crabtree

I could stand to learn more napkin folding methods! This is great for a casual meal!

• Jacalyn

Casual, fun, and it takes no time to do, but sends the message to guests that at least a little thought and effort went into preparing the table. Thanks for your comment!