Debi M
Debi M
  • Washington, NC

Does anyone know where I can find lythrum portula?

DianaBKathy RDebi M
+6

Portula has so many pretty colors and I love to plant it around my cactus to add texture and interest to my garden. This year I haven't been able to locate any.

Well that was a new one on me, Debi, but when I Googled it, I didn't see any with a conspicuous flower. (And I try to stay any from anything in the loosestrife family.) Did you mean portulaca?

• Erica Glasener

Debi, I think you mean Portulaca or moss rose? They are tough succulent type plants that grow well with cactus. Here is a link for a nursery in NC hope it helps. http://www.fairviewgardencenter.com/tips/replacement_annuals.html

• Kathy R

I got mine at Home Depot this year.

• Debi M

I wish we had a Home Depot :-( They closed ours last year.

• Kathy R

Do you have a Lowes home store? They had them at ours too.

• Kathy R

1701 Carolina Ave, Washington, NC, You have a Lowes !! yay

• Debi M

Kathy, They do not carry it. They only have purslane

• Kathy R

Awww sorry

• DianaB

I checked on this particular one and according to the USDA sale of it is prohibited because it is considered a noxious weed. Not the exact same thing as purslane but very close and apparently that is why you are unable to find it. I would go with portulaca (moss rose) as it is more compact and the flowers are adorable and vary in color on the same plant.