Kelly Bonk Prestidge
Kelly Bonk Prestidge
  • Buffalo, MN
Asked on Jun 18, 2013

Sticky wood table top

Sam HicksKelly Bonk PrestidgeKMS Woodworks

I refinished our wood kitchen table about two years ago. Sanded it down, handpainted it with French script, stained and sealed it with matte polycrylic. It is now becoming sticky to the touch. I think it's from wiping it down after meals. How can I get rid of the sticky without stripping off my painted script? Also what should I use to seal it that won't get tacky? Any help is appreciated.
  • KMS Woodworks

Two years old tells me the finish is most likely not the problem but your cleaning product. Try some warm water with a few drops of dishsoap, follow this with a clear water rinse. Allow this to dry well then test. I use oil based finishes, minwax wiping poly. I normally use 4 or 5 coats with a least a week final cure time....never have had any tacky issues.

• Kelly Bonk Prestidge

I'll see if this helps. Thanks!

• Sam Hicks

My thought was for you to get some "goo gone" the stuff you use to remove sticky labels....? I have not used it on furniture before, but it does work on wood with no problem...