Neva F
Neva F
  • Montross, VA

Has anyone tried worm composting in a bin? Would appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Neva FSherrie SMiriam I
+6

• KMS Woodworks

My daughters did this as a school project a couple of years ago. It worked well though there is a bit of "work" involved. Vermi-composting is a great way to compost "kitchen waste" it is a good scaled down version of what many folks use in a garden type setting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermicompost

I think it's a great idea for apartment-dwellers and others when a compost bin isn't an option.

• Neva F

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. I have a tumbler composter, but have always been interested in worm composting. I guess I am wondering if it is worth buying, or just stick with what I'm doing. I am growing all my vegetables, flowers in containers now, so the worm idea seemed a practical way to get rid of kitchen waste and have worm compost for my containers.

• KMS Woodworks

The worm bins need to be kept warm (ie: not outside in the winter) a "regular" compost bin can go trough freeze thaw better...it the compost bin is small it may go dormant during the winter as the cold temps slow or stop biological activity.

• Neva F

Thanks!

• Trish M

I Live in Mesquite Nevada and have been raising AWESOME Gardens for 8 yrs on worm castings...Well worth the Effort...We Bring ours inside when it Gets to HOT...Worms are in a Half 40 gal Barrel...Me and My Friends have the Best Looking Gardens in Town...No Kitchen waste Goes to waste...

• Miriam I

Trish, I'd love to see a picture of your garden!

• Sherrie S

Neva, I have 2 tumbler composters. When I want more worms I dig a small hole and put a little compost into it. Later I take coffee grounds and throw them on top of that area. It doesn't take long for worms to show up & do their job. The birds that love worms know where to dig.

• Neva F

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments!