Carolyn Richrath
Carolyn Richrath
  • Westmont, IL
Asked on Jun 18, 2013

Thistles take over one side of my garage..remove permanently?

Douglas HuntCarolyn RichrathMarilyn Nerren
+1

These thistles get more invasive each year. I pull them out but the root breaks off down in the soil and comes back with a vengence. How can I permanently get rid of them?
  • Julie

I have this problem too! I would love to get rid of these nasty things. I just keep digging them out, at least they don't get to flower.

• Marilyn Nerren

I have dine the same thing for years. This year I went to SAMs warehouse, bought the 4 pound box if regular salt, poured on them right before it rained. If you kill them before the flower opens, each year there will be less and less. Nothing will grow for awhile where you have killed something with salt. But a small price to pay to eradicate this nuisance. Some of my friends think I am nuts for killing thistles. It is a host plant for the butterfly.

• Carolyn Richrath

I will try the salt...sounds like it could work...the butterflies can enjoy other plants in my yard...thanks

Salting the ground may get rid of the thistle but it can also destroy your soil and make it unplantable for anything else. Far better to paint the thistles with an herbicide, or a vinegar-based product if you don't want to go that route. See more advice here: http://blog.pennlive.com/gardening/2011/06/getting_rid_of_thistle.html