Celia
Celia
  • Pasadena, MD
Asked on Jun 18, 2013

DIY pesticide for tomato plant

CeliaDouglas HuntValerie
+2

I have Aphids on my tomatoes and need to kill them. I don't want to use lots of chemicals. Is there a home remedy?
  • Sheila owen

I use a spray bottle with dawn liquid soap and use the mist..it works great:)

• Joni Yuhas Fecher

mix dish soap & water. Spray on plants.

• Valerie

I would agree that dish washing liquid, mixed in water, would be the ideal solution.

It is far better to use a commercial-but-organic insecticidal soap than a home brew. Commercial products are tested for their safe use on plants and the the soap in dish soap is actually too strong for many plants, stripping essential oils from the leaves.

• Celia

Thank you all for the responses. I actually got desperate enough to spray it with an ECO-Smart flying bug spray I already had access to. It looks like it helped. I've used the diluted dish soap spray on roses for spider mites before but didn't know it would work on aphids. I will keep this in mind if I see them again.