Angie Martinez
Angie Martinez
  • Lockhart, TX
Asked on Jun 19, 2013

Fence covering

Douglas HuntAngie Martinez

I saw a question about fence covering, well we have the same issue. We have a dog that likes to visit next door and will bark at our neighbors if she sees them. We put up a fence cover but when it got windy it rattled the fence because the windy couldn't get though. My hubby decided to cut slats but now it looks horrible. My question?... I need an inexpensive yet cute/pretty idea.DIY and I know there are a lot of creative people on here. The slats are to expensive since we have a very large yard.

I assume you have a chain link fence, Angie. Two evergreens that work very well to turn chain link into a screen are Confederate jasmine, Trachelospermum jasminoides, which has delightfully fragrant white flowers in spring, and Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens), which has sunny yellow flowers in early spring.

• Angie Martinez

Thank you Douglas I would love to grow jasmine back there its one of my favorite flowers/scents I actually have one in my front yard for the past couple of years and it still looks like it did when I bought it, small. I forgot to mention that we live in TX and the dogs like to patrol the fence so any plants just get trampled or die because we are far from green thumbs.

You'll have to put a fence around anything you plant to keep the dogs away from it until the plant has a chance to get established.