Leanore Masi
Leanore Masi
  • Brooksville, FL
Asked on Jun 19, 2013

I have two plum trees that definitely need help.

Marilyn HighleyLeanore MasiRusty
+7

These trees were given to me as a birthday present 7 years ago. One has leaves but never blooms. The other blooms and has given fruit the last 3 years but the plums are really tiny and quite bitter. Any suggestions on how to improve them?
  • Marilyn Highley

Do you know what variety of plum they are? You might have a male (no fruit) and a female (fruit) tree, but most plums can self-pollinate. Have you fertilized? Do they get plenty of water? The bitter fruit leads me to think they might need more water.

• Leanore Masi

I haven't watered them in years because I was told that once they got beyond the seedling stage it wasn't necessary. Especially since here in FL we have rain almost daily from June - Sept. I'm guessing you may have a point and no I haven't fertilized because I have two Jack Russell Terriers and was concerned that fertilizer might be harmful to them. I used to be an avid gardener when I lived in NY and PA, but since moving here to FL everything I try seems to die. I am extremely frustrated.

• Leanore Masi

Marilyn, I forgot to say that I don't know the variety of plum but the skin is red.

Leanore, you comment that the plants were planted as seedlings makes me wonder if they were purchased locally? Plums grown here need to be cultivars selected for having lower chilling requirements. It certainly doesn't help that your plants have never gotten any fertilizer (there are plenty of organic ones). Here's a comprehensive look at growing plums from the University of Florida's extension service: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs250

• Leanore Masi

Douglas, the seedlings were purchased here in Brooksville, FL so I believe they do have the lower chilling requirements. Thank you for the website! I believe it will be most helpful. BTW, I just joined Hometalk a few days ago and I'm already thrilled with all the information I've learned. Thanks to all.

Welcome to the party, Leanore!

• Leanore Masi

tyvm

• Rusty

I can tell you what to do about the bitter plums but not sure about the one that does not bloom. When your blooms come out on your tree, take Epsom salt and pour a ring around the tree where the longest branches tips are ( not up close to the trunk) and then water just enough to make the Epsom salt soak in. It will give you the sweetest plums. Also works on other fruit trees, peach I know for sure because I have used it.

• Leanore Masi

Rust, Thank you very much for the tip, I will definitely give it a try. Combined with the information from Douglas and Marilyn, I believe I will have a much more successful crop next year. BTW Marilyn, you were right - the non-blooming tree is the male. I forgot that the person who gifted them to me told me that.

• Marilyn Highley

I'm glad you are getting the info you need, Leonore. :-)