Neutral Master Bedroom

$500

I updated our plain master bedroom with a peaceful, neutral makeover. A white, gray, and tan color scheme peppered with some budget friendly finds made a big difference.
This comfy king bed is now the favorite place for family movies, snuggles...and yes jumping on the bed!
I created a DIY upholstered wingback headboard with nickel nailhead trim. We used a piece of plywood, then covered it with batting, then a neutral oatmeal colored linen blend fabric. We added nailhead trim to the outline of the bed. For the bedding, I had a friend sew me a bedskit using this $8/yard fabric. Then I used simple white sheets and white pompom bedding with a new gray throw.
I painted the walls a soft gray and left the existing fireplace white. We added a simple mantle using MDF material and off-the-shelf corbels from Home Depot. I also painted the grill of the fireplace black (the existing was an outdated brass). I then put three framed Ikea prints on the mantle. The dressers are leftovers from my husband's childhood bedroom!
For some budget friendly decorations, I started with this gray and ivory herringbone Target rug. I also added a tan Target bench to the end of the bed. Each white bedside table came from Walmart and has a Walmart pharmacy style light and bronze fan. I found these circle mirrors on the clearance end cap at Target for next to nothing. I hung them low over each bedside table. I replaced the existing fan with a new nickel chandelier from Home Depot. The simple white sailcloth curtains are also a Target find.
The BEFORE. The existing room was yellow with white carpeting and a plain fireplace. We did keep the carpet, but painted the walls and updated the fireplace. We also replaced the existing fan with a new chandelier.
THE BEFORE. I replaced the dingy curtains with crisp white ones. Simple tone-on-tone bedding and accessories helped us keep a calm, neutral look. I also changed the niche on the right hand side to a home office for my husband on a $257 makeover budget...check out that project here on HomeTalk as well!

Kristin @ Postbox Designs

• Rjl7148077

What is the brand and name of the gray paint?

• Judith A Bailey

This is a great minimalistic look!

Do you have more specifics on your headboard creation?? I need a good DIY pattern & love the looks of this one!