Reclaimed Wood Planter

Sometimes a unique kitchen catch all can be quite the farmhouse style with next to nothing for cost! Since I last posted this design, I was asked to give a tutorial. In doing so this time, I'm using reclaimed wood and not an actual cutting board. (Although one can be used!)
reclaimed wood planter, container gardening, crafts, gardening, repurposing upcycling
I started with a piece of wood from an old bookshelf I carted around for about 30 years. I traced a cutting board onto it. Slightly larger to accommodate the bowl I was attaching to it. Then cut the board with my band saw.
Then took a wooden bowl and cut it exactly in half with the chop saw.
By tracing the outline of the bowl halves in place, I could then mark for drill holes where I could attach them with wood screws from the back of the board.
Then, drilled the holes for the bowl parts, and for the handle for hanging.
I stained the reclaimed wood and attached the bowl halves with screws.
That's it! Ready to hang and use!
Great for kitchen gadgets or keys or succulents!
It's a cute planter.

• Reclaimed wood board
  • Wooden bowl
  • Wood glue
Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations

• Kathleen Conery

I'm thinking that the best place to put the screws would be lower in the bowl curve where it's thicker? I really, really like the look of this and am absolutely going to try it! Thanks for sharing!

• Beth

I love this idea but I wonder how the wood is going to hold up if it gets wet with watering the plants ??? . I have some succulents I would like to use for this awesome project.

• Dennis Dixon

I like the idea of reusing the cutting board as a plantar as shown but I am wondering how to water proof the joint where the half-bowls are attached to keep water from leaking out when caring for the plants?

• Hi, and thank you! I just discovered "Flex" paint. It comes in spray cans or paint cans. It's a "rubber type" of paint, it's completely waterproof. I found it at Walmart. Hope that idea helps.