Darlene Mapes
Darlene Mapes
  • Sugar Run, PA
Asked on Jun 19, 2013

Gardening

Karen McLendonAnn DavisBeverlina
+12

Do you know what this plant is, or is it just a weed? It is about 4' tall already with no flowers.
gardening, flowers, gardening
  • Karen McLendon

Weed.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I vote weed

• Cynthia

Pretty sure it's a weed.

I suspect goldenrod.

• Darlene Mapes

Thank you all! My husband said the same Douglas. Well isn't a weed just an unwanted flower? Going out to pull it up lol!

• Em Hooper

Looks like goldenrod. You don't want it to go to seed, but the flowers will fit in big jar of 'weedy' plants (actually wild flowers) on the patio. I mix it with joe pye weed, ironweed, daisy shaped flowers in white and yellow....whatever grows on its own in your area. A big vase/jar of these beauties can be spectacular. When you get rid of it--now or in the autumn--be sure to pull all the runners you probably will find. Lots of garden plants put out runners and seeds, like roses& daylillies.

• Gretchen

Goldenrod! I purposely planted two in my garden last year - I have a few more now, and will hold the line at that. They look really pretty next to purple coneflower and bee balm (yes, I have lots of "spreaders")!

• Marci Keith

Yep!!!! The Kentucky State flower.... It depends on who you talk to as to whether it's a weed or a flower... It can take over an area and needs regular thinning if you keep it... It will bloom late summer into fall and will look like a Golden ploom waving in the breeze....

• Cindy tustin

Have to say goldenrod

• Sarah Batzloff

just pulled one out of my garden last night! it was hiding behind the hollyhocks!

• Diane

Dwarf Mexican Daisy ...not sure

• Maria

all in favor "weed"

• Beverlina

Definately a weed. If you let them go long enough, they get milky at the top. Pull it out. I have had tons of them this year for some reason.

• Ann Davis

Weed!

• Karen McLendon

Ruella...tall blue?