Washi Tape Specimen Art

This is an easy piece, yet it's got great impact. Using washi tape as the "pattern" for these cutout butterflies, this specimen art piece is full of colour. The frame is a garage sale find - a bit of spraypaint and washi tape glammed it up! This is great wall art for the summer!
Create this easy and colourful art using washi tape and scrapbooking paper!
I paid a quarter for this frame. I saw the potential. Spray paint to the rescue!
I collected washi tapes that complimented each other.
Lay the washi tape down so that the pattern matches. Use a cutter or punch to cut out the shapes.
Use a craft knife (or box cutter, like I have here) to cut the washi tape at the corners of the frame.
The knife is necessary when working with unforgiving patterns, like chevron.
Arrange the butterflies on scrapbooking paper and admire!
The colours are perfect for summer!
The colours are perfect for summer!
Tara @ Suburble

• Cheryl Gillman

How did you stick them to the card stock and make them come off the page like that? Did you use glue?

I assume you didn't put glass in it just left it off? This is really cute! I'm going to try making one with my kids!

• Terri J

What an adorable way to bring a little nature and color into your home. I really like this idea.

• Tara @ Suburble

Thank you, Terri! It looks fabulous hanging on the wall!