Garage Sale Shutters Turned Headboard!

$10.00

I found the PERFECT shutters to create a DIY headboard and side table sconce holders. I had this idea in my head and was drawn right to this sale where I picked up all six shutters for $5!
This was my project for the May Fab Furniture Flippin Contest. Our sponsor this month was Country Chic Paint and the theme was Bling Bling. We were given one color of the paint and one color of the metallic cream. I chose Icicle and Trigger, a pewter metallic cream. They really were great paints.
They were a little worse for wear when I got them. But this is how they looked before.
It took a lot of scraping and sanding and they still weren't perfect. A little bit of rustic charm is how I look at the imperfections on used items.
I primed them all with white paint/primer spray. Then used a latex white for the main four shutters and Country Chic Paint in Icicle for the two sconce holders.
I used the same colors for my bedside tables. Then I distressed with the Trigger Metallic Cream.
Chloe always likes to help. I made the sconces and used my paint sprayer to paint on the pewter color. It worked beautifully!
Here is the final product all up and installed! What do you think?
Please stop over to the blog to see the entire tutorial. You can also sign up for my email/newsletter and receive a free printable to make a great gift for a friend.
I am loving the whole thing and am so happy with the results!

• Wood Shutters  (garage sale)
  • Paint  (Country Chic Paint)
  • Paint Sprayer  (Used, but is from HomeRight)

Michelle James

• Trish

How did you attached the shutters to the wall? Thanks. Great idea.

• Michelle James

In the blog post you can see photos of the back of the shutters before we hung them. My husband added a piece of wood on the back towared the top of the shutter and an "L" bracket on the wall. He also added a piece of wood to the back toward the bottom of the shutter and this rested on the floor molding and he added a screw thru the "L" bracket into the wood piece at the top. I hope this makes sense.

• Deborah S

How did you connect them together?

• Michelle James

We used one long piece of wood on the back and attached them to it. I hope this answers your question.

• Diane

Do these still free form in back of bed or are they attached and how???

• Michelle James

Hi Diane. In the blog post you can see photos of the back of the shutters before we hung them. My husband added a piece of wood on the back towared the top of the shutter and an "L" bracket on the wall. He also added a piece of wood to the back toward the bottom of the shutter and this rested on the floor molding and he added a screw thru the "L" bracket into the wood piece at the top. I hope this makes sense.

• Robin Wilson-Offerdahl

So cute!!! I'm going to attempt this! Thanks for the inspiration 🙌

• Cris

My brother have me a king sized numbers bed which I really like but looking for a headboad has been a chore. So now that you have given us a great idea for the ideal headband, I'm going for it!!!