Michelle Zimmerschied
Michelle Zimmerschied
  • Sweet Springs, MO
Asked on Jun 19, 2013

How do I keep the coons and opossums from digging up my flowers?

RustyMichelle ZimmerschiedDouglas Hunt
+1

Last year I planted several phlox down at the end of my lane and I only have one left. They were all dug up and roots eaten. I tried barricading them off with chicken wire and they dug under it and crawled up and over it. I trapped several coons in live traps. They just recently have dug up the same "empty" spots again!!! Is there anything I can spray on the area to keep them away? I would like to try to replant some again, but not if I can't keep them away!
  • Sherry B

I have heard that if you place an ammonia soaked rag nearby it might help.

Are you putting bone meal or anything like that in the ground when you plant? If so, leave them out next time. Try planting things with scented foliage, like Russian sage.

• Michelle Zimmerschied

Thanks Sherry, I will try that. Doug, I'm not adding anything. I just planted them straight out of the pots they were in. I'll have to look and see what I can find in the way of scented foliage. Thanks for the tip!!

• Rusty

Most wild animals do not like the smell of any kind of citrus. Orange oil or peels and even lemongrass planted nearby should keep them out. It even works on deer. Rusty Fanning Clifton TX