Charlotte G
Charlotte G
  • Atlanta, GA

can you tell me why the flowers on my squash plants fall off.....

David OgdenDouglas HuntLynn K
+5

You probably have a pollination problem. See this explanation from the Purdue University Extension Service: http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/sqblossomdrop.html

• Walter Reeves

If the flowers that fall off have no small squash directly underneath the bloom, they are the male flowers. As Douglas said, these naturally occur first and fall off. Soon both male and female flowers will appear simultaneously and if bees are present you'll get squash to eat.

• Nancy Rhodes C

This sounds like a promising reminder in case I ever have the same problem.

• Charlotte G

will check out suggestions above.....thanks

• Charlotte G

the plants are enclosed in netting so folded it up so the bees can find them... will see if that works... i really like this web site and with everyone's help i'll have lots of vegetables....

• Lynn K

I would recommend that you test your soil to see if you have a soil deficiency. Blossom drop is common with pepper plants. Someone recommended that I stick three unused matches tip first into the soil once a week into my planters. My garden space is very limited so I use containers to grow vegetables. I was amazed at the difference adding the unused matches made.

You definitely need to let the bees do their work, Charlotte. Good luck!

• David Ogden

You have two types of flowers on a squash plant. A female which has the fruit attached to it and the male which has know fruit attached to it. You have to have both type of flowers to pollinate the female. If you do not the flowers will drop of. Only the female flowers will give you the actual squash but with no male flowers the female flowers will drop off.