Trent-Tonya Sharp
Trent-Tonya Sharp
  • Franklinton, LA
Asked on Jun 19, 2013

Another Gardening Question

FrancesSusan SwaseyDebbie / Dragonfly Treasure
+18

What is this tree ? It was given to me three years ago and I dont remember what it is? I know I was told to plant in sun light so I did but I am hoping to see what it is to see how tall it will get ????? Thanks home talk everyone is so helpful. :)
Blooms these little purple flowers but doesn't have a scent
another gardening question, flowers, gardening
I have never pruned it ...
I have never pruned it ...
  • Luis

I believe that is a Rose of Sharon bush they come in several colors

• Judith F

Rose of Sharon..

• Trent-Tonya Sharp

Wow I looked up Rose of Sharon and it gets really big hope that is what it is thanks to you both

• Mary Insana

Yes, they do get big, and they attract bees too.

• Ivylore

I love them, using them for a privacy fence- but they spread like crazy, so you have to constantly pull up the new little stick-like sprouts that will pop up all over.

• Nancy Hand

(Hibiscus syriacus) Rose of Sharon or Althea It likes alot of sun. If you want it as a tree, go ahead and trim the lower branches to shape it like a tree. Yours looks a little hungry. Throw so fertilizer on it! :)

• Jan

rose of Sharon, mine is about 8 years old and around 12 feet tall

• Stephanie

ITS A ROSE OF SHARON.....I WOULD LOVE A WHITE ONE. IT THINK THAT WILL BE MY NEXT PURCHASE

• Sherry F

@Trent-Tonya Sharp These tree multiply also. I just planted these along the sides of my driveway. I dug mine up from around my mother's trees.

• Socorro Gonzalez

look very nice! Lovely one. It give great beauty to your garden. Looks like Rose of sharon to me.

• Bonnie

Rose of Sharon o Althea bush...very easy to grow and will multiply from seeds dropping on ground...pink, red, white, purple. I have a blue...almost blue.. Very pretty if you get the double blooming variety

• Allen Kang

It's a Rose of Sharon.

• Margie

yes that is a Rose of Sharon...they are beatiful and can grow into trees but by letting mine grow that big it has started splitting and losing branches..we now just have the trunk and a few limbs with no leaves at all so i suggest while latting it grow look up the best way to care for one
  • Margie

sorry i forgot to add we had it 20 yrs before it started splitting
  • Dar

Hummingbirds love them
  • 13526476

Beneficials love Rose of Sharon. Activity from hummers, bees and butterflies, and the continuous blooms will keep you entertained! Perform light pruning until you see what shape your tree wants to take, especially on the bottom.
  • Deanna Nassar

Granny had 2 in our yard compliments of the birds. Were different colors and far apart from each other. Were there at least 10 years and never had any problems; never grew that tall either. Not sure how long they were there. Sold the place over40 years ago and never went back. Didn't want to see the changes new owners did.
  • Sylvia

The shrub is a rose of sharon or althea. They are easy to grow and easy to root from cuttings. Mine are double light purple but there are pretty white ones as well. They do not require a lot of care. They can stand a lot of dry weather and still bloom. Mine bloom profusely and dependably.
  • Rose of Sharon. Very hardy
  • Susan Swasey

It's a Rose of Sharon..

• Frances

One of my favorites. You can let it grow to a nice height and keep it trimmed, usually in late Jan. It will bloom again in the spring. If it grows too tall, it is hard to control. You could buy more and they make a beautiful hedge row. Watering and fertilizing helps it to grow strong. Look it up online.