Wine Bottle Fruit Fly Trap HOW-TO

You may have seen the fruit fly trap where you cut a 2 liter soda bottle in half and then invert it on itself. Functional, cheap, but not necessarily an attractive decoration. Here is how to make a trap out of an empty wine bottle.

1. Place a sweet fluid in the bottom of the bottle like apple cider vinegar, the last few drops of wine, etc.
2. Make a funnel out of full sheet of paper.
3. Place the funnel in the bottle and trim off just above top of bottle lip.
4.Gently press down on the funnel until it is flush with to lip of the bottle and make sure that there are no gaps between the funnel and the bottle.

TIP: Rinse it out and make a new funnel periodically.

Not a fan of using empty alcoholic beverages as decorations or seeing the fruit flies crawl around? Spray paint the wine bottle first.
The finished Wine Bottle Fruit Fly Trap. You can just see the fruit flies already in there after just a couple minutes of use
Place a sweet fluid in the bottom of the bottle like apple cider vinegar, the last few drops of wine, etc.
Make a funnel out of full sheet of paper.
Place the funnel in the bottle and trim off just above top of bottle lip.

Jeremy Dixon

• Raeann Tobin

Same concept as the fly bags at Home Depot. The flys get in, following the scent and can’t get out. The funnel is wide enough for all to get in but only the really smart flies can get out the small end of the funnel. There can’t be too many really smart flies, right?

• Barb

It only takes 1 smart fly for natural selection to prevail! LOL

• Kathi Lael

Does this work for gnats?

• Argena McAdoo

Easy fix for nats...

Get a small container .. Fill it halfway with water and put just a couple of drops of dawn dish liquid in the water they will flock to it and drown.

I always sit it inside of one of my plants takes care of the problem without a thought

• Darlene

How to keep bugs out of my hummingbird feeder?

• Celeste

Search for Ant Moats, you fill it with water/oil and they can’t get to your feeder

• Carol George

Great idea, I will try it. Do you have any way to get rid of mosquitos?

• Gail

citronella plants are nice and emit a lovely smell when you brush against them. They do not keep mosquitoes at bay. Nothing keeps mosquitoes away except Strong things like Deet. I am sorry for all the naturalists. I speak from experience. My Daughter in law moved to Texas from colorado and was all natural. She wanted to be safe with her little ones. She lives in the country and wanted a big garden. She got eaten alive. She tried it all. Finally went out one day and put natural repellent on one leg and Deet on the other. Having one leg eaten up and the other one free of bites made her a believer.

Just from experience. Now if someone can tell me how to keep NO see ums off when I visit florida. Even Deet did not work......

• Cassie

great idea, using the wine bottles. I use plastic water bottles to make fly/nat traps. I cut the bottles making the top a little smaller then the bottom. Then flip the top upside down as the funnel. Then tape the top and bottom together, I use cheap clear tape, then pour in the ACV. The clear plastic bottles make it easy to see how many of the flying bug that are trapped. When its full I just throw the whole thing away. Its not a pretty looking trap, so I hide then around the house. I think the wine bottles look much nicer and you dont have to worry about hiding them out of sight. Thanks for sharing 👏👏👍👍

• Jeannie

Plus you get to drink the wine so you can use the bottle