Jeremy Dixon
Jeremy Dixon
  • Clarksville, TN

Wine Bottle Fruit Fly Trap HOW-TO

You may have seen the fruit fly trap where you cut a 2 liter soda bottle in half and then invert it on itself. Functional, cheap, but not necessarily an attractive decoration. Here is how to make a trap out of an empty wine bottle.

1. Place a sweet fluid in the bottom of the bottle like apple cider vinegar, the last few drops of wine, etc.
2. Make a funnel out of full sheet of paper.
3. Place the funnel in the bottle and trim off just above top of bottle lip.
4.Gently press down on the funnel until it is flush with to lip of the bottle and make sure that there are no gaps between the funnel and the bottle.

TIP: Rinse it out and make a new funnel periodically.

Not a fan of using empty alcoholic beverages as decorations or seeing the fruit flies crawl around? Spray paint the wine bottle first.
wine bottle fruit fly trap, crafts, go green, pest control, The finished Wine Bottle Fruit Fly Trap You can just see the fruit flies already in there after just a couple minutes of use
The finished Wine Bottle Fruit Fly Trap. You can just see the fruit flies already in there after just a couple minutes of use
wine bottle fruit fly trap, crafts, go green, pest control, Place a sweet fluid in the bottom of the bottle like apple cider vinegar the last few drops of wine etc
wine bottle fruit fly trap, crafts, go green, pest control, Make a funnel out of full sheet of paper
Place a sweet fluid in the bottom of the bottle like apple cider vinegar, the last few drops of wine, etc.
wine bottle fruit fly trap, crafts, go green, pest control, Place the funnel in the bottle and trim off just above top of bottle lip
Make a funnel out of full sheet of paper.
wine bottle fruit fly trap, crafts, go green, pest control, Gently press down on the funnel until it is flush with to lip of the bottle and make sure that there are no gaps between the funnel and the bottle
Place the funnel in the bottle and trim off just above top of bottle lip.
Jeremy Dixon

• Laurie

I don't understand, if the fly fits and can fly in the paper funnel, why can't they fly back out the same funnel?

• Lucy

why the need for the funnel ? Won't the flys go into bottles without it ?

• Beverly

Ok so what I have to do to trap any flying insect is get a bottle, put some apple cider vinegar with a splash of liquid dish detergent in it..then make a funnel with paper and they come fall in and can't come out...how much apple cider vinegar do I need for such big bottles? Thanks

• M

I have used this in a bowl with the vinegar and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Wrap Saran wrap tightly on the top and poke few small holes in the Saran. The purpose of the dishwashing liquid is to break the surface tension of the vinegar so they don't just sit on it. The wine bottle idea will look much better than a bowl with dead fruit flys!!

• Suzanne Brodie

and PLACE them near fruit bowl.

• Rebecca Surette

WHAT? You mean I can catch as many flies with vinegar as with honey? LOL, my gran is rolling in her grave, but I will be saving my next wine bottle!

Roll on, Gran. It's a new day.