Jeremy Dixon
Jeremy Dixon
  • Clarksville, TN

Wine Bottle Fruit Fly Trap HOW-TO

You may have seen the fruit fly trap where you cut a 2 liter soda bottle in half and then invert it on itself. Functional, cheap, but not necessarily an attractive decoration. Here is how to make a trap out of an empty wine bottle.

1. Place a sweet fluid in the bottom of the bottle like apple cider vinegar, the last few drops of wine, etc.
2. Make a funnel out of full sheet of paper.
3. Place the funnel in the bottle and trim off just above top of bottle lip.
4.Gently press down on the funnel until it is flush with to lip of the bottle and make sure that there are no gaps between the funnel and the bottle.

TIP: Rinse it out and make a new funnel periodically.

Not a fan of using empty alcoholic beverages as decorations or seeing the fruit flies crawl around? Spray paint the wine bottle first.
wine bottle fruit fly trap, crafts, go green, pest control, The finished Wine Bottle Fruit Fly Trap You can just see the fruit flies already in there after just a couple minutes of use
The finished Wine Bottle Fruit Fly Trap. You can just see the fruit flies already in there after just a couple minutes of use
wine bottle fruit fly trap, crafts, go green, pest control, Place a sweet fluid in the bottom of the bottle like apple cider vinegar the last few drops of wine etc
wine bottle fruit fly trap, crafts, go green, pest control, Make a funnel out of full sheet of paper
Place a sweet fluid in the bottom of the bottle like apple cider vinegar, the last few drops of wine, etc.
wine bottle fruit fly trap, crafts, go green, pest control, Place the funnel in the bottle and trim off just above top of bottle lip
Make a funnel out of full sheet of paper.
wine bottle fruit fly trap, crafts, go green, pest control, Gently press down on the funnel until it is flush with to lip of the bottle and make sure that there are no gaps between the funnel and the bottle
Place the funnel in the bottle and trim off just above top of bottle lip.
Jeremy Dixon

• Carolyn Noyer

You say "fruit" flies, would this work for regular flies?

• Jaq2174166

I think any flying insect would fall for the "trap"

• Jaq2174166

• Katrina Thiessen-Beasse

I do this with 2L pop bottles all the time as fly/wasp traps during the summer. Works like a charm on pretty much ALL flying pests.

• Sandy Hartnett

Very good to know...thanks...hugs

• Felicity Woodruffe

Yes it works for most flying insects including wasps

• Suzanne

If you have really low ceiling you can put a little dish soap in a plastic cup and hold it up close to the ceiling and a fly will drop into the cup. Can also be used as magic trick to entertain youngsters

• Cheryl Johnson

Really good for gnats, as well

• Rachel

Had mine out for about 10 days now and not caught a thing! :(

• Avl3479265

Sorry this only works on American flying insects.

• Vicki Tyson Dudai

Works well with yellow jackets. They were messing with my hummingbirds and seemed to be getting the upper hand so I had to do the plastic bottle idea and immediately filled the bottom with them. Now, I upscale to wine bottle or maybe a pretty little wine or margarita glass. Just can't invite the heavy drinkers over in case they set down their glass and pick this one up. Yikes!!!!!

• Pamrwilson

Avlemf Love your answer LOL

• Helen Warner

I done the same thing with a pickle jar for the nats and it works great!!!

• Susan

Reading this whole thing was hilarious, but I vote for July's plan. And if she doesn't catch flies under her plan? I don't think she'll care. -:)

• Susan

Sorry...that was supposed to be Juli.

• Danielle Odin

You are all a riot. 8-)

• Laurie

I don't understand, if the fly fits and can fly in the paper funnel, why can't they fly back out the same funnel?

• Xmo5213463

THE main reason is that is much easier for a tiny brained fruit fly to enter the bottle as it is operating on a trigger that says follow the smell of food and land on the top of the funnel and walk down toward the source of the odour and once it reaches the small opening of the funnel ( I would make the opening even smaller) it flies down to the source of food eats or drinks its fill but their is no reason to try to find the opening to get back out.

• Terry

Because they are stupid?

• Xmo5213463

If you want to choose that term it is your choice, I believe that like most small brained forms of life they operate on things that are most important to them and first amoung them is food and reproducing, food number 1 for without that they would not last to reproduce and what better place to find a mate would be near a food supply. While they are busy doing that they do not try to fly back out through the tiny hole at the end of the funnel.

• Sandy Hartnett

They don't fly back out because they are too busy drowning in the liquid...I have done this numerous times with a glass covered in plastic wrap with a pencil sized hole in the wrap...amazing how quickly this works!

• Patty

They can't seem to find their way back out of things like this. Not sure why.

• Felicity Woodruffe

The answer is because they close their wings and crawl through the small hole but when trying to get out there is nothing to help them crawl out if they open their wings to try to fly they can't get through the small hole

• Mssmatch

They are too drunk and eventually drown....

• Doris E Slager

Talk about splitting hairs!

• Too Shy

😂😂😂 All together they make sense thanks. to all,

• Jym Allen Hitt

Terry took my answer....they ain't brain surgeons

• Rte5003477

Instead of the funnel, try a couple of drops of dish detergent. The surfactant traps them in the liquid. I have been using this method in a little bowl of vinegar for several years.

• Stacey

Same. I use a regular glass with apple cider vinegar and dish detergent. No need to cover the glass. They fly right in and are trapped immediately.

• Juli

You all just made my morning! I think Felicity has it right, but Jym Allen I'm with you on this one "... they ain't brain surgeons" I think I'm going right out and empty a couple of wine bottles right now so I can try this out on my deck!! Happy fly hunting y'all!! 😊

• Anny Palanzi

Juli, all by yourself? I'd want company for this event. Probably the most fun I've had in weeks. And a splendid time will be had by all...except the fruit flies.

• Yofrendonna

They get drunk on the wine. 😂

• Yofrendonna

Flies have tiny brains. Smaller than a ..well .. fly.....
    • Missroselady

I still haven't heard from any one if this will work for regular flies. I don't have any fruit that attracts fruit flies.
    • Chris Eilerman

I'm thinking...since attracts gnats also, what's it gonna hurt to go ahead and try! I am. I have trouble with flies getting in also. It's such a cheap project, even cheaper than fly strips...which btw I had an aweful experience with. Let's, just say that sticky stuff really adheres to ones hair and....I'll leave it at that. Lol.. Good luck to you! Wish me luck.

• Laurie Price

The dish soap decreases the surface tension and they drown. The funnel is needed.
    • Jeannie.mcquaid

Missroselady, I don't think regular flies would be attracted enough by cider vinegar to bother going down the bottle in the first place. You might have to change the bait to something else they would like...and then you'd have to listen to them buzz around in there.  might be annoying.
    • Denise Divan-Warnke

My friend'a mother told me an odd remedy to keep flies away from the doors so they don't get into the house. Take a little baggie and put a little bit of water with a penny or two in it. Hang it by the door. I tried it and have had hardly any flies in my house after going on a flyswatting spree just a few days prior.  Sounds strange but it works.
    • MK McDonald

Common sense folks. As with any flying insect trap, once their wings become wet, its toast for them all. I used to use a 2 Litre plastic bottle and put maybe 1/4 of the bottle full of the sweetest tasting/smelling liquid I could think of. I'd cut 2-3 flaps (an upside 'U') around the upper sides of the bottle, push the flaps inside. It created a little door in but the wasps could not get out. That is, if the syrupy liquid didn't drown them first. No more 4 year old little daughter screaming as they'd bite her over and over!
    • Tina M. Shrewsbury-Harrell

I've always used the baggy with water truck pinned above my doors to outside. It works and makes a great conversation piece. Used to live near a horse farm and flies being flies, they came to visit.
    • Tina M. Shrewsbury-Harrell

that would be water *trick
    • Malika Ibrahim

Ok, someone make a video of the baggy penny thing.

• Lucy

why the need for the funnel ? Won't the flys go into bottles without it ?

• Beverly

Ok so what I have to do to trap any flying insect is get a bottle, put some apple cider vinegar with a splash of liquid dish detergent in it..then make a funnel with paper and they come fall in and can't come out...how much apple cider vinegar do I need for such big bottles? Thanks

• Judy Tilton

An ounce or two should work. You just need enough to produce a good, strong odor and deep enough that they can't "wade" in it.

• Martha O'Brian

I missed the dish soap part..where was that written?
    • Wanday

Martha O'Brian I didn't see that part also.....
    • Em

If it was true "that when their wings get wet they are toast" they would all die in the rain. That simply isn't true.
    • Janet

I tried apple cider vinegar in a glass and I was overwhelmed with fruit flies this summer when I started buying baskets of peaches (never had this problem other summers).

• M

I have used this in a bowl with the vinegar and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Wrap Saran wrap tightly on the top and poke few small holes in the Saran. The purpose of the dishwashing liquid is to break the surface tension of the vinegar so they don't just sit on it. The wine bottle idea will look much better than a bowl with dead fruit flys!!

• Vortec

There is something lacking in how this is supposed to function / work. Does the funnel go all the way to the bottom of the bottle or ????

• MargaretHoulihan

The funnel only needs to go into the wine bottle about 4-5 inches--just enough to get into the wider part of the bottle and not end inside the neck of the wine bottle. The fruit fly goes in through the funnel because of the attraction of the apple cider vinegar. Because you are using a funnel shape, the widest part of the funnel is at the top opening of the wine bottle. The narrow opening is at the other end inside the wine bottle. The fruit fly will try to get out, but it would need to find the narrow opening in the funnel, which is now located about 4-5 inches from the top of the bottle. It would be nearly impossible for the fruit fly to find that small opening so that it could escape.

• Katherina

I think you would need some glue stick also. To help it stay.

• Suzanne Brodie

and PLACE them near fruit bowl.
  • Rebecca Surette

WHAT? You mean I can catch as many flies with vinegar as with honey? LOL, my gran is rolling in her grave, but I will be saving my next wine bottle!

Roll on, Gran. It's a new day.