Umbrella Door Wreath... My Version

42K Views
This is one of the most fun wreaths I have done. I know other people have tried these and to me they all turn out so darn cute I had to try one... but I did it my way!
  • umbrella door wreath my version, crafts, doors, wreaths
First off you need an old umbrella. You could buy a new one but that defeats my purpose of using old discarded things and upcycling whenever possible!
I have been planning on doing one of these for quite some time but could never find the right used umbrella. Then I was at the Habitat ReStore and there it was. A child size umbrella with my name all over it.
Get to the hardware store and buy 2 cans of spray paint if your umbrella is not quite the color you imagined and this umbrella certainly was not the right color for me. I wanted something bright and sunny!
While at the hardware store I picked up a can of Great Stuff expanding foam. This was going to hold all those fake flowers in place during the windstorms we get here all year long.
First I gave the umbrella two quick coats while the umbrella was open. Then once dry I closed it up and tied a piece of twine around it to hold it in the position I wanted it. I also bent some of the front wires so it would face outwards more but leaving the back ones alone so it would sit flat against the door when hung. I slid a garbage bag over the handle area and gave it another 2 coats of paint. Even though I bought a good primer and paint all in one can, it still took several coats to get a good coverage.
I could not find any fun fake flowers at the thrift stores I usually haunt so it was off to the Dollar Store. I bought way more than I planned to, as in my head I wanted to keep it simple. What was I thinking! Once you have your flowers arranged in the umbrella then your next step is the can of Great Stuff. I have given a more detailed instructions on this over on my blog you might want to go take a look at before you use this stuff. Or if you do not live in a windy city like I do, you can totally omit the great stuff and just tie a pretty ribbon on you umbrella and hang it up.
The final result will not go on my front door as planned because it looks just too darn pretty here paired with all my other fake plants. Yup, no watering real plants for me this year. I went all fake ones this year and don't have to worry about them dying and I will bag them all up and store them away till next spring and won't have to spend a penny.

Suggested materials for this project:

KAT

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!