Is Something Wrong with my Mom's Japanese Maple?

+12
I was up in Indianapolis, IN this past weekend and my momwas showing me her Japanese Maple. Sheis wondering what’s wrong with it. Itold her I would see what I could find out. It has very few leaves and many of the tips look like the end of acigarette with ash. (see picture) Thelimbs still seem viable. They are flexible, not brittle. I was able to knock off some of the “ash-like”ends but many of them were just as flexible as the rest of the limb.
I’m not sure what kind of Japanese maple it is. (coral bark maybe?) She has had it for maybe 6 years and this isthe first year it has done this. Sheoffered that my nephews may have damaged it by running into it with the lawnmower when cutting the grass. See imageof trunk. Any suggestions you mightoffer would be appreciated!
is something wrong with my mom s japanese maple, gardening, Very few leaves and it s June
Very few leaves and it's June!
is something wrong with my mom s japanese maple, gardening, See bottom of tree Maybe this was damage from being rammed with the lawn mower Darn nephews
See bottom of tree. Maybe this was damage from being rammed with the lawn mower? Darn nephews!
is something wrong with my mom s japanese maple, gardening, Tried to get a close up of the leaves for identification
Tried to get a close up of the leaves for identification.
is something wrong with my mom s japanese maple, gardening, See the tips look like the end of a burning cigarette
See the tips look like the end of a burning cigarette.
is something wrong with my mom s japanese maple, gardening, Another view
Another view