Barb Rosen
Barb Rosen
  • Wilmington, DE

DIY Project ~ Make Your Own Succulent Wreath!

$20

Were you one of those mud-pie making, play-in-the-dirt kind of kids? Well. if you were, this is the project for you: Making a succulent wreath! I have outlined a quick and dirty set of directions here for you! To get more detailed directions and a full materials list please click on my link http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/diy-project-make-a-succulent-wreath/
Completed Succulent Wreath
Completed Succulent Wreath
Step # 1 ~ lay wreath form on dampened sheet moss
Step # 2 ~ pile wet soil on the frame and into the crevices
Step # 3 ~ pull sheet moss together over soil and wrap with floral wire
Step # 4 ~ poke holes and insert succulents
~ a succulent wreath ~
~ a succulent wreath ~
Barb Rosen

• Viki

How often to water, and how?

• Barb Rosen

Water about once a week unless very hot weather. Take the wreath down, lay it flat and water with a hose. After it drains, hang it back up!

• Brenda Omalley

Would you consider this wreath to be one that can be used year-round? And can it be used outdoors as well as indoors? I'm thinking of giving it to my sis'n law for her Dec. B-day. What could I use to make the wreath more festive , RE: Christmas & B-Day. I'm not sure this is the type of wreath you add things to or take things away from. But, I do know you've made a gorgeous wreath.
    • Barb Rosen

Thanks so much for writing, Brenda! This wreath was made with tender perennials and goes in a cold frame for our Delaware winters. It is still going strong although I have replaced a few of the plants since I first made it (some grew too large and a couple dwindled out). If you live where tender succulents can live outdoors year-round, that's great. Indoors, you would need a very sunny spot for the wreath - it is watered by laying it down and spraying it, so a little messy for inside, too. But maybe you could do a variation with indoor succulents available at your local garden centers. For Christmas, adding some small red ornaments and such would be very pretty!

• RUTH

So your indicating that the succulents only need moss to grow in? This is beautiful, but I'm wondering if the plants will survive.

• Barb Rosen

Actually, when you read the post I have attached, you will see there is more than moss for the succulents to grow in, Ruth! Click through on this link for step-by-step directions and pictures. Thanks for writing!

• Barb Rosen

@RUTH ~ it is packed in quite tightly and there is a good 4 inches or so. Succulents used are fairly shallow rooted and kept trimmed as well. Thanks!