Asked on Jun 19, 2013

Drop down dresser

Paula LongKatherine Howard JonesSusan sapp


Does anyone know anything about this dresser ?
9 answers
  • Cynthia
    on Jun 20, 2013

    Try contacting this place. They may be able to help you.

  • Z
    on Jun 20, 2013

    I don't know anything other than it's called a secretary, not a dresser. That might help you in your research or hopefully the contact Cynthia gave you will help. It's very pretty.

    on Jun 20, 2013

    My friend has one and it was his grandfathers. I know it's old.

  • Catherine Smith
    on Jun 20, 2013

    It is a secretary, looks like golden oak. Mine has a attached curved glass book case. Do check with a reputable antique dealer. Most of these were made in the 1800's for the secretary in a office to do their work.

  • KMS Woodworks
    on Jun 20, 2013

    I restored an 1860's era Secretary a few years back...mine is a bit fancier with walnut veneers and Mahogany.

    drop down dresser, painted furniture, 1860 era secretary antique restoration
  • Sandra
    on Aug 25, 2014

    The top is a Secretary. However the bottom looks like it is a dresser or chest for a child's room. The two pieces look as though someone 'married' them together to look like one piece. That is just my opinion. Good place to store all your computer accessories. Or for a hall entry to store hats & gloves with a place for the in & out daily mail too. Nice find.

  • Susan sapp
    on Dec 30, 2014

    Sandra, my thought also was that it could possibly be a "married" piece. It still looks very nice. Looks like maple or pine... need a closer look at the piece, maybe from the '50's.

  • Katherine Howard Jones
    on Jan 16, 2015

    I have a secretary with "dresser" type drawers below. It is not uncommon at all. Yours is very nice @linda;

  • Paula Long
    on Jan 20, 2015

    I have a maple secretary desk. It belonged to my mother and she bought it either in the 50's or 60's. I am still using it. It looks almost like yours.

Your comment...