LInda
LInda
Asked on Jun 19, 2013

Drop down dresser

Paula LongKatherine Howard JonesSusan sapp
+7

Does anyone know anything about this dresser ?
drop down dresser, painted furniture
drop down dresser, painted furniture
drop down dresser, painted furniture
  • Cynthia

Try contacting this place. They may be able to help you. antiques@NaplesCreekAntiques.com

• Z

I don't know anything other than it's called a secretary, not a dresser. That might help you in your research or hopefully the contact Cynthia gave you will help. It's very pretty.

• Linda (WHITEWEATHEREDHUTCH)

My friend has one and it was his grandfathers. I know it's old.

• Catherine Smith

It is a secretary, looks like golden oak. Mine has a attached curved glass book case. Do check with a reputable antique dealer. Most of these were made in the 1800's for the secretary in a office to do their work.

• KMS Woodworks

I restored an 1860's era Secretary a few years back...mine is a bit fancier with walnut veneers and Mahogany.

drop down dresser, painted furniture, 1860 era secretary antique restoration
  • Sandra

The top is a Secretary. However the bottom looks like it is a dresser or chest for a child's room. The two pieces look as though someone 'married' them together to look like one piece. That is just my opinion. Good place to store all your computer accessories. Or for a hall entry to store hats & gloves with a place for the in & out daily mail too. Nice find.

• Susan sapp

Sandra, my thought also was that it could possibly be a "married" piece. It still looks very nice. Looks like maple or pine... need a closer look at the piece, maybe from the '50's.

• Katherine Howard Jones

I have a secretary with "dresser" type drawers below. It is not uncommon at all. Yours is very nice @linda;

• Paula Long

I have a maple secretary desk. It belonged to my mother and she bought it either in the 50's or 60's. I am still using it. It looks almost like yours.