Lisa C
Lisa C
  • Cumming, GA

Amaryllis- should I simply transplant in the fall or dig them up and replant next March?

Anna M.S.Glenda ManganDiane Miller
+8

2- hand me down bulbs were planted about 4 years & have multiplied even though they wintered in the ground.
q amaryllis should i simply transplant in the fall or dig them up and replant next, gardening
  • Walter Reeves

I'd leave the foliage on as long as possible. When it turns brown you can transplant.

I agree that waiting until the foliage turns brown is key to successful transplanting. That's true of most bulbs.

• Linda Q

I let mine get brown after blooming, trim them down to the ground and leve them there. They multiply.

• Sharron W

If you want to transplant then fall would be the right time to do so....

• Lisa C

Unfortunately due to 2 deaths in the family I was never able to transplant the bulbs. Now I have some bulbs which are actually showing about 1/3 of their tops above the mulch line. What should I do? Dig up and plant in spring or transplant now?

• Sharron W

I think at this point I'd wait until after they bloom....

If I understand correctly from your original post the plants are in the ground and seem to be doing fine. If you want to transplant them, I agree with Sharron that you should wait until after they bloom.

• Lisa C

Thanks, I will pile up dirt and then mulch over the tops of the bulbs which have broken through the surface.

• Diane Miller

You must live in the South. I am in Southwestern Ontario, there for Amaryllis would not survive the winter here. However I read some articles saying to plant them in their pot outside when weather permitted and or change the pot only after the original pot cracks. Unless you are talking about another plant that is similar, I have Naked Ladies (AKA Armadillos. Leaves turn brown and die then a few weeks later a single stock comes up and Pink Flower ( looks like Lily's)

• Glenda Mangan

#lisac in the south they are refered to as Crim lilies, & in rare places you'll find dark pink one as well as the stripped. dig them anytime they are very hardy. the bigger the plant the deeper the bulb will be, & some of the bulbs will be huge, like a basket ball. i have seen them come back even if the top of bulb gets broken off.

• Anna M.S.

A great-nephew accidentally cut one bulb in half/at a slant. I thought I'd lost the whole plant, but last spring, I had a red bloom! The amaryllis is doing just fine on it's own in the ground.