Mary Ann Gerhardt
Mary Ann Gerhardt
  • Adkins, TX
Asked on Jun 20, 2013

Cut Ants

Mary Ann GerhardtDebra K.Jeannine Maranchuk
+4

We are being taken over by cut ants. They are stripping the leaves off all our plants and shrubs. Does anybody know how to get rid of them? Hopefully a non-chemical, if not, anything.

Mary Ann, according to Texas A&M, control of cut ants is very difficult, and there is only one widely available bait that has proven effective. It is sold under the name Amdro® Ant Block. You'll want to read their report here: http://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/landscape/ants/ENT-1002/

• Mary Ann Gerhardt

Thank you. I will purchase some. We have at least 164 mounds in our backyard.

• Pat Barrett Cowherd Marsh

I tried the homemade mosquito trap...nary a one got trapped..

• Pat Barrett Cowherd Marsh

Going to try lemon grass and the garlic spray and listerine..hhhmmm lemon ,garlic, listerine...sounds better than pesticide ,chemical,poisons..

• Jeannine Maranchuk

I used to sprinkle cayenne pepper around my house & peonies to rid the area of ants. Worked like a charm. The other option is to mix Borax & icing sugar together. Apparently they carry the sugar back to the nest to eat, then the Borax kills them. I have never tried that as icing sugar is expensive. Cayenne pepper worked for the 30+ years I owned houses in Manitoba. Even with 2 cats & kids. Hope this helps

• Debra K.

Someone told me to use white vinegar???? I also like neem oil.

cut ants, gardening, pest control, I just took this photo today it s a beautiful lily very large
  • Mary Ann Gerhardt

Thanks for all the replies. Will try and see if any or them work.