Debi M
Debi M
  • Washington, NC

Cactus garden taking over

A small cactus garden in front of our pump house started taking over the area. I love the yellow roses they produce, so I didn't want to dig up the entire garden. By using cinderblock to contain the area it cleaned it up. Plus, I planted purslane in the cinderblocks, along with some small cacti ears. In the window box I planted celosia for more color
Contained Cactus Garden
Contained Cactus Garden
Another view
Another view
Window box with celosia
Window box with celosia
Debi M

• Marla

I started a bit of this cactus in an ignored corner of the garden many years ago. It is contained by blocks. It multiplies and blooms like crazy every year - I sometimes have to put on leather gloves and thin it out. This is despite cold Illinois winters and zero care.

• Carolyn

Going to use the cinder blocks for my new cactus bed I'm creating. This will also help keep out grass. I got some cactus starts from a friend. Really like the idea of planting the squares of cinder blocks too. I'll "mulch" with my collection of fossils and rocks. Thank you for sharing!!