Asked on Jun 20, 2013

What would you do with this space?

Rachelle SanchezAndrea Skrip-EvansSaz703268
+49

This is a friend's kitchen. We are looking for different opinions and advice about what you would do to make these back and brown cabinets blend in and not look so different. Feel free to read more about this on my blog today- http://sweetparrishplace.blogspot.com/2013/06/what-would-you-do-with-this-space.html
q what would you do with this space, home decor, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design
  • Cynthia

Maybe you could stencil a design on the black cabinet to make them pop. Use a soft crème color and do only the smaller paneled area. Also if the center is recessed, use the same color to pop the middle section. If too much stenciling on doors, then maybe just stencil the middle section for some interest. Good luck and have fun.

• Pat

Consider treating that black section as if it was a free standing piece of furniture. Then refinish it in soft cream and glaze the recessed grooves with a nice ginger bread brown. You would need to choose cream a bit different from the walls. Add some pretty knobs or handles, perhaps in the oiled bronze finish. HTH.

• Andrea

love Pat's idea of making it look like a separate piece! otherwise you could remove the door, paint the unit adding full doors to create a pantry.

• Terra Gazelle

Paint the cabinets white, I really do not like those dark brown cabinets...the walls a darker color..maybe a sage green, I agree the black cabinet needs something..a stencil would be nice, but with a color that goes with the wall color...or cut out the panels and put in glass with a surprising color on the inside.

• Terra Gazelle

I am redoing my kitchen and getting two tower cabinets side by side to use as a pantry for my small appliances. I am going to paint them the same color as my walls but distress them.

• Debbie Silva

I would paint the soffit above the cabinets a darker color to give the feeling height. Then paint the black cabinet a lighter color and add some crown molding.

• Virginia Gastelum

I would paint the cabinets with a cream chalk paint and distress them. Paint the walls a Tuscan color maybe a orange ish. Keep bottom half of walls the same or a light brown Im trying to visualize a coffee with cream color.Change the lighting out update it,put pendle lighting over sink.The black cabinet I would put glass doors and stencil the glass. I agree with other lady put some crown molding to.

• Tina P

remove the doors and replace them with tin inserts

• Bonnye Manning

We often transform cabinets like these to painted/glazed by primering, basecoating (light color), then glazing with a tea stain. Basecoat needs to be oil based. OR, we only paint the boxes OR the doors, but not both. Cheaper and easier for the Do-it-yourselfer. I also take the panels of doors and apply my pressed tin wallpaper to them, painted the same color as the wall...again a stain and paint mixture to save time, effort and money.

• Diana Sue Mendez-Lucio

White wash country look would be awesome!

• Nance Freeman

I would paint them a butter cream color.

• Marilyn Highley

If the color is the only issue, maybe you could a black border on the brown cabinets (only the outer rectangle around the center panel on each door ?), and a color similar to the brown cabinets as a border on the black cabinets. So, they would look like "opposites". Then, add some brown and black curtains or other accessories to tie everything together.

• Marilyn M

Paint all the cabinet doors including the black cabinet, either yellow or blue. Leave the black cabinet black and then put on the same hardware on the doors to match the paint.

• Melissa W

Paint ever cabinet almost white ..new clear Mosaic back splash and silver knobs. Paint your crown moulding the same white as the cabinets. Replace that light fixture with something less industrial. Can't really see the counter tops so this is just a guess that the almost white will look against them and the tile. Leave the black cabinet as is if it looks good.. picture is a little fuzzy.. but get some lights for under the opening. Paint the room terracotta "historical" color in satin finish.

• Gayle wilson

I d paint the cupboards the same as the wall or a soft white enamel including the black cabinet.Put on some neat hardware.Or Take out center of cupboards and replace with glass,then paint lighter color.

• Terry

paint them all a nice neutral color and change the hardware to a nice nickel football. paint that dark crown molding/chair rail and get rid of the ugly fluorescent light.

q what would you do with this space, home decor, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, This was my old kitchen hated the dark and the swoop over the sink changed the light fixtures painted the cabinets and added new hardware Then added new appliances nice white not into s sq what would you do with this space, home decor, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, a little paint goes a long way
  • Kristi Watts

u will need one of the other doors take the face off the black cabinets and then go to menards with the measurements and the other cabinet door and order new face for the black cabinets that's the way to make them match the other cabinets

• Anita Hadley

well, you didn't say what she likes about the kitchen and what's she's willing to change. I would paint the crown, soffits and upper cabinets all the same color. That will raise the ceiling. Maybe use the color of the wainscoting. She could either paint the lower cabinets the same color or use the black on the lower cabinets. Then bring in some glass panels to tie in the glass doors on the black cabinet. She could repeat the panels of the wainscoting on the two ends of the kitchen cabinets with some trim pieces. Paint is the key. Just not black crown. It's making it too choppy.

• Linda B

I would paint them a nice cream color.

• Sondra A

Personally I like natural wood cabinets and would leave the browns alone. The black one I would paint a darker brown that matched the darkest brown in the wood cabinets. Then I would stencil a large pattern in the black cabinet door inserts or I would find fabric or paper to put in there that continued the colors already in the kitchen. I like the colors that are already in this kitchen, so it would help to know what your friend likes or dislikes about this.

• Jodi

Bonnye!!! Come do my kitchen!!!

• Jan T

I would paint the black cupboards to match the walls, in an enamel paint. I would use the same knobs or handles on all cupboards.

• Kasha P

I would put some small moulding on the end of the top cabinet and lower cabinet that is right next to the black cabinet....and have 4 sides of small moulding (painted black) with 4 corners to connect each side and nail or glue to each cabinet. Then I would probably add some more just like it over to the other side of cabinets to make them uniform.

• Jan C

Do the brown cabinets only on the bottom, black! Then it would look like you did one of the mix and match colors so popular today!

• Annette

I would strip the black cabinets and stain to match brown ones. Looks cleaner and organized when everything matches.

• Kim Zeller

I would paint the center panels in the doors on the brown cabinets, black. Paint the black doors, brown. Maybe the drawer fronts also.

• Donna L. Etchberger

I would either strip the black cabinet and refinish to match the kitchen, or paint it the same color as the wainscoting. Regardless, I would also paint the crown molding and chair rail to match the wainscoting. That dark contrast makes the room look smaller and poorly thought out, as far as the design. I personally prefer stained wooden cabinets, so that would be whatever your friend likes. The other option would be to paint all the cabinets one color. The black cabinet looks as though it was painted over to make it look like a piece of furniture to use in the dining area, and I believe the upper doors have glass inserts, like a china cabinet/hutch. You can see the wood grain showing through the paint on the lower doors, so it was probably originally the same as the cabinets, and should not be difficult to restore to it's original finish.

• A couple of thoughts...paint the bottom cabinets black and uppers white accenting the cabinet above the oven in black. Could even take off the doors for open shelving on a couple of the uppers and paint the interior black as an accent. Your friend has plenty of storage so lots to play with. These are all suggestions for a tight budget without having to spend any money other than a little bit of paint. A couple of coats of Behr primer + paint all in one will take care of it!

• Linda Boyce-Futch

I'm not crazy about dark kitchens but I think I would blend with a new expresso finish on all cabinets, however if it were my kitchen I would pain a turquoise with white trim

• Cathie F

Gut it

• Vicki

i painted my cabinets black, i have a light turquoise paint on the walls & installed new modern hardware in brushed nickel on my cabinets - have a black & white checkerboard floor & it looks modern & fresh - i love it - get compliments on it all the time. My cabinets were brown stained to begin with - i love my kitchen!!

• Z

To make it work with the least amount of elbow grease, I'd paint the sink base and the valance (the stained piece over the sink between the upper cabinets) to match the black cabinets. Since I can't see the other side of the cabinets I can't make any suggestions for there, but this should help marry the two rooms cabinetry.

• Natalie T

If you have the wall colour paint available, you could paint the sides of the brown cabinets that face the dining room in that colour. That way the black cabinets would stand out on their own. (I also love the idea of chalkboard paint that you suggested in the blog!) I also like your friend's idea of continuing the black theme with a table to match...or maybe a colour in between the two.

• Sharon

I hope 3rd time's a charm, this is last attempt to comment,argh!SO, where sides of brown cabinet meet black cabinet(almost like a hutch),I would do chalkboard paint,~permanent on bottom,erasable on top for to-do lists... off-white soffits so close to white ceiling would drive me NUTS,either do bold (your accent color,like red,etc)paint on ceiling or use soft stencil/scrollwork on soffitts combining brown,accent color & black in design you choose... I would do the same for curtain and a new backsplash to tie all together ... use same accent color and similar design as stencil to border chalkboards ,except,leave small frame of brown around black chalkbroad...you might try framing out brown cabinets w/ blackpaint,but I'm a big chicken & would do one w/ electrical tape to see if i like it first,it"s easier to remove than paint on wood,and it"s black

• Sharon

Sorry,folks...if you ever wanna hunt me up on internet,just type in "I never took computer & typing was my HOMEROOM..".(think that"ll be title of my second book,if I ever write down the first one) I've also been up ,um,23 1/ 2 hours ,so I'm headed to bed...great ideas everybody,can't wait to see what she does...

• Connie

sponge paint them ... paint them lighter color do them in your favorite colors of three if you would sponge them... its not hard to do.

• Elaine Simmons

Sharon ........"typing was your homeroom" LOL............I can relate!

• Lindsay Eidahl

I would turn that space into a wet bar/wine station (if you entertain a lot). It looks kind of separate from the kitchen and so I would make it a buffet counter on top and then put a drink fridge underneath where the bottomcabinet is and take off the cabinet doors on top and make it just shelves up there for wine glasses and other drinkware or special dishes. Make it more of a drink station and get rid of the cabinet!

• Naoise

I would faux paint all cabinets creamy antiqued - then same technique on center island but blach with gold highlighted into the crevices - very soft and subtle - black appliances - don't like stainless myself so much myself - back splash and counter top look good to go with this - floor may want to be restrained or replaced with tile - add antique bronze knobs on drawers and cupboards and antique bronze faucet - presto hey - gorgeous!!!! (iMHO) :)

• Tammy

I would paint the bottom cabinets black and the top ones antique white and pull it together with black work valance if you have a kitchen window and black-work placements and table runners.

• Such a fun project! (Oh, and lots of work) We did a post on simple and inexpensive home updates. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but it at least gave me some ideas on which direction to move and see what others have done. http://www.organizedchaosonline.com/2013/05/21/tips-for-moving-part-3-diy-home-renovations/

• Beth Velosa

Everyone's looking at cabinets and all I can see is a dark kitchen...the lights need to be changed so badly .....and if you can afford to loose some cabinets a large window for you to bring in sunlight and views....I agree go light on top dark on bottom and anchor with mix countertops ...but those light need to be improved!

• Sharon

True that... guess I just thought she would...yes,plz modernize the lights

• Becky Penn Harris

It is the backsplash that is throwing everything off. Either embrace those colors or replace it. Use beadboard to cover it, if you are going with cottage look. If you embrace it go with global colors by HGTV at Sherwin Williams. I'm thinking a Tuscan. Keep black cabinet, but add expresso stain to it. Use a rust color for wall. Dark cream for cabinets on top. Bottom cabinets, dark expresso. New hardware. Paint a light cream color inside black cabinet with the glass. Slap some colorful dishes inside the black cabinet. Wainscot should match top cabinets.

• TJ

Rustoleum has a product for cabinet resurfacing that comes in many colors. I'm not sure what the advantages are over paint but it might be worth checking it out on their website

• Diana Sue Mendez-Lucio

@4 results are available, use up and down arrow keys to navigate.HometalkDid we ever see after pictures on this?

• Candy Oxford

First I would consider painting all the molding a bright white. (This made a huge welcome addition in my house. Next, I would consider repainting the dining room also and then paint the bulkhead to match the top of the color in the dining room. For the cabinets there are several choices.1. You could paint just the doors on the cabinets. 2. On the bottom cabinets you could paint the ends the same color as the bottom of the dining room. paint the doors a different color possibly white of a soft white. The top cabinets could be entirely painted and then frame in the ends on the top to use as a display area for pictures or small mirrors, blackboard, or bulletin board. I would leave the china like cabinet painted all the same color. The top doors could be cut with glass inserted if you have something to display, or you might like a stencil where the glass could be etched. The top cabinets could all be painted doors and back the same color. 3. You can paint all the backs and doors the same color. You can even make your own chalk paint if you look it up on the internet. The hardest part for me would be deciding what color I wanted. to go with the beautiful tile backsplash. Good Luck on your project..

• Terra Gazelle

Go to Pinterest and check out the collections of kitchens..see what you like as far as colors and design. You will see something in my picture something else in another picture ..you will find what is perfect for you. If it was my kitchen, I would paint the cabinets, maybe the top a light creamy tan and the bottoms a color to match the back splash...I like a poster's idea of turning your built in into a coffee station...it would be perfect for it. Maybe a nice creamy yellow for that pop of color, maybe distressed. Any way..check out what you like on the net...get an idea of what you like. But the black has got to go. It is just sad.

• Saz703268

I don't think she needs to add trim. I think she would be better off staining the cabinets next to it black (maybe even the ends of the ones on the opposite side too?) Or she can do chalk board paint, as you suggested. I know she only asked about trim but I do have a few ideas for her. Not seeing the full dining room, I would also suggest tying the black into the kitchen valance. If she's in love with it, just trim the bottom in black fringe, tassel or ribbon. I may also like to see the inside of the black cabinet painted to match the dining room, maybe even just the center part, as it reads as a dark hole. I like the black knobs and accessories on the counter. Please post an after pic when she's done.

• Andrea Skrip-Evans

paint the black moldings a fresh bright white. Always looks crisp, clean , newer.

• Rachelle Sanchez

whiten it up #1