Darlene T
Darlene T
  • Delray, WV
Asked on Jun 20, 2013

GNATS!!!

Wendy BWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comDarlene T
+6

How do I keep gnats out of my face while doing yard work, dryer sheets only work for about 5 minutes...
  • Cynthia

Wipe some lemon or vinegar on your face.

• Darlene T

Thanks Cynthia, I'll give them a try :-)

• Nancy Hand

Living in South Georgia for over 35yrs I still haven't got use to them!! Nothing seems to work. I will have to try lemon or vinegar too!!

• Jayme Renee

They are terrible at my place in Wisconsin too!! Driving me batty.

• Kelli Vancil

I have tried using Absorbine Jr and just dab it a little on my neck area. So far it has kept them away for about an hour. The unfortunate thing is I went to Walmart to get another bottle and they were all out - the tech said that the manufacturer is having a hard time keeping up with demand just for this same reason. However - it does NOT work on keeping mosquitoes away.

• Wendy B

Off Clip-on mosquito repellent seems to keep all the bugs away the hours I am working. Downside, 12 hour use and you need a new clip...but if you turn it off when you are inside it gives you a good long time without them. Also if you can actually hook up a fan near where you work, I know not always easy to do...but if you can, it helps keep them away as well!

• Darlene T

Wendy, the fan idea doesn't some half bad, my garden is pretty close to my house, so it IS feasible. I do have one of the clip-ons, I found it work better when clipped to my collar, but doesn't work if you are moving around a lot, like when mowing or raking. Kelli, I will have to try the absorbine Jr also... at this point I will try any and every thing at least once, just to see what works best. I really want to thank everyone who has come up with a solution/remedy... it really is true, two heads are better than one... in this case, MANY heads are better than one...lol. Happy Gardening to you all and may you all have BUG FREE days!!!

• You can get gardening hats with fans built in on the brim. Have no idea where, but I have seen them.

• Wendy B

you are right about the clip on not working when moving...just works when out weeding or planting! I am actually underway to losing as much lawn mowing as possible. We've built a pond/waterfall, a dry rock bed, firepit, and have pine straw and plants taking up large amounts of space JUST to avoid that very problem. Very wet, shady land on one side, too much sun on the other! Bugs are my daily complaint. I will tell you that I just discovered something called chiggerX, it helps after you have bitten by mosquito's or anything...works better than anything I've ever tried! Blah to bugs! Hope the fan works for you!