Ivylore
Ivylore
  • Trenton, MI
Asked on Jun 20, 2013

What is this plant?

Felicity WoodruffeIvyloreBrenda De Lair
+8

Given to me by a friend- I thought it was just a decorative grass, but it surprised me with 2 beautiful yellow flowers- which didn't last for but a day- we've figured out it is an evening primrose
grass-like spiky leaves- beautiful yellow flower bloomed for about a day
  • Dee W

I have no idea, but I really like it's leaves and open appearance. I hope someone here will know for the both of us, I'd like to get a few myself!

• Michele Nacke

The bloom looks like a daylily....each bloom lasts only a day, but as the plant matures you will have many blooms. The foliage confuses me though, because it looks 'spiky' and all my daylilies have straight, spiky leaves.

• Elizabeth Gladden

I don't know either but I hope that it can be identified so that I can get some!

• Dee W

I have daylilies also and that was my first thought but the whole plant looks different to me.

what is this plant, flowers, gardening, pic of my daylillies
  • Ivylore

Right, I have some day lillies, but this is different- much smaller in height, about 10 inches right now and the leaves are thinner and spikey looking.

• Ivylore

Evening Primrose-Yes, that's it! Wow! How interesting! and that it is here in the midwest- how lucky am I! Thanks, Missio Terra for solving the mystery!

• Laura

I agree with the prim rose, I had a few and at 9pm the flower would open, you could sit and watch it open, really cool.

• Brenda De Lair

This is a flower called Mellow Yellow.

• Ivylore

Hi Brenda, this evening primrose is definitely 'mellow yellow' :)

• Felicity Woodruffe

my evening primrose have been growing in my back garden for more than twenty years.They grow to about two feet tall and have many blooms they have the most wonderful colour and return year after year

what is this plant, flowers, gardening
  • Felicity Woodruffe

if you let them they will grow everywhere though