Ivylore
Ivylore
  • Trenton, MI
Asked on Jun 20, 2013

What is the name of this succulent plant?

TanyaIvylorePeg
+12

Given to me by a friend- pretty succulent
succulent? don't know the name
succulent? don't know the name
  • Cynthia

Looks like a sedum.

• Dee W

I agree with Cynthia, that this does look like a sedum--very much like "autumn joy" which will bloom a beautiful maroon color in a few months. They stay compact when growing, and will spread easily. I hope you enjoy it-I love them!

what is the name of this succulent plant, flowers, gardening, succulents
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Joining the chorus, it is a sedum, but with all the different varieties on the market, it could be any variety, won't know until it blooms. Autumn Joy is one of the originals.

• Ivylore

Thanks, Ladies- Can't wait to see!

• Rusty

I live in Texas and have a plant that looks identical to this that is called Stonecrop. It will have small white buds in a cluster that when in full bloom turn a pink. Very easy to grow and multiples easily. If kept out of the north wind during the winter in Texas it will come back out again the following spring. Rusty Fanning Clifton TX

• Ellen H

Stonecrop is a common name for sedum.

• Linda Hopper

A friend gave me a start of this sedum ( she called it a forever plant) well over 20 years ago. It is one of my favorite plants. It is happy to stay in the same pot from many years. I live in West Texas and it comes back every year. It is so easy to propagate. Simply break of a piece , take off a few of the leaves and stick the stem in a pot or the ground. I have it in many pots as well as in the ground. Easy,easy,easy. I have an Aunt in Oklahoma that calls this plant a House Leek?? I guess it depends on what part of the country you live in.

• Linda Neal

I believe this is called a sedum.I have a couple myself. One blossums very late .It comes up in Sept. or late August in Maine.

• Irish53

and it looks very healthy. you must have magic green thumbs.

• Ivylore

Don't know about that :) but it looks like it likes where it's at.

• Kay Love-Wood

It's Sedum for sure, stone crop. There's probably over 100's of sedum. From upright to creeping, trailing and lots of different colors and leaf shape. Like Linda said it's very easy to propagate, divide etc. Lots of uses in the landscape, and I use it in hanging baskets also. (trailing type)

• Jossi

It's a Sedum, and it'll live through anything. LOL

• Peg

The deer eat it up here. Yours look like "autumn joy" as others said. They come in so many sizes and colors. I put them in my full sun areas, the are heat tolerant.

• Ivylore

Thanks, Peg- we've had so much rain lately that I hope they are "wet tolerant" as well :)

• Tanya

That would be stonecrop, a variety of sedum. They grow everywhere around my house. Over a thousand different varieties of sedum.