Nanci Burroughs
Nanci Burroughs
  • Covington, GA
Asked on Jun 20, 2013

Plant identification

DawnMarci KeithNanci Burroughs
+2

Does anyone know what these two plants are? I think one may be a weed...its over 3 feet tall and shows no sign of blooming. The other one looks like agastache to me, but I'm not sure. It has small purple flowers.
Weed?
Weed?
Agastache/licorice mint?
Agastache/licorice mint?
Close up of flower
Close up of flower

The one on the right definitely looks like agastache to me. Rub the leaves together and see how they smell. The other one looks possibly like goldenrod to me, which probably would not be showing signs of flowering yet, although I'm not sure where you are.

• Nanci Burroughs

Thank you Doug. The purple flowered one doesn't have the strong scent I associate with agastache, but you are probably right. I'm in Georgia, a little south east of Atlanta. I haven't seen much goldenrod in my area and I certainly didn't plant it. I was hoping it was going to be something nice. lol

• Nanci Burroughs

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Marci Keith

Goldenrod!!! The KY state flower.... some say it's a weed but, I have kept a small patch in one of my flower beds... It really is lovely in the fall!!!

• Dawn

The first one looks a little like Maximillian's sunflower, but if you are in Georgia, I would think it might be a little too damp for those. However, they are very hardy and they do love heat--and you certainly have that!