Roberta Eagleston
Roberta Eagleston
  • Greenfield, IN
Asked on Jun 20, 2013

I picked the bloom off with two leaves.

Meredith bungardWanda sinnemaMJ
+14

Either a tree or shrub
Thanks
Gay
Greenfield, IN
Sent from my iPad
i picked the bloom off with two leaves, gardening

Looks like you've found a Magnolia macrophylla.

• Roberta Eagleston

We thought a type of Magnolia, but this has only four petals and the leaves are pointed and rough to touch rather than rounded. Thank you

• Katie Price

Looks like a Chinese dogwood Cornus kousa. It is a cousin of our native Flowering Dogwood Cornus florida, but blooms later, after foliage emerges.

• Roberta Eagleston

Yes, Katie! That is what it is. Thank you

• Sharon

that"s a dogwood variety

• Jill

Yep, it's a dogwood.

• Lynn

kousa dogwood!

The Kousa dogwood doesn't have a leaf that shape or anywhere near that size.

• Cynthia

Doug, it's definitely a dogwood. Check out this photo. I was originally with you and magnolia. There is also a giant dogwood leaf as well.( Cornus Controversa) with five to eight inch leaves but they are variegated. This one is definitely a Yellow Cherry Dogwood. http://goodfruit.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/at-last-the-dogwood-blooms/

• Sharon

Hey Doug,I gotta say the girls have it this time...that is a dogwood,and it's being held by a small child in picture... we love em here in MS,loggers will take extra care not to damage them ,and I decorated for events w/ them...religious meaning behind them is also as beautiful as the plant!

• Philippa Tapson

Dogwood!!! My dogwood trees have green berries where the white flowers were. These will turn red in late summer-early fall. Robins love to eat them !!!!

It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong, but the blooms on a Kousa are nowhere near that size and the yellow cherry dogwood definitely blooms in spring.

• Roberta Eagleston

very late Spring. In fact thought the tree was dead. Finally bloomed. The one n picture was only one left.

• Wanda sinnema

dogwood for sure,,, many varieties.. I have 2, a pink and a white..

• MJ

Dogwood

• Wanda sinnema

feel lucky you have this dogwood..according to several local nurseries here, something killed most of the from suppliers this year,,laarge and small none in our area to be found.. my white one (same as yours) is about 20 yrs old,, and about 20 ft tall, blooms slightly later then others, but is COVERED in the white blooms,, the entire neighborhood comments and enjoys it..BTW birds love the soft seed pods after it blooms.. the leaves curl if the weather gets hot, its to preserve the moistureit has.. they reopen when weget a couple of days of rain..

• Meredith bungard

I have a kousa dogwood and it doesn't look like that, especially the leaves. Way to big. It's some kind of dogwood though