The Easiest Diamond Ring Cleaner You've Ever Seen

$0

One day while I was working, I happened to look down at my hand and spot my dull diamond ring. Disgraceful! I had let the diamond build up a subtle film of grime and hadn't even noticed it. I knew I had to make it sparkle again, but how? I'd read this tip about using water and window cleaner in a number of places, but I was afraid to try it out. Then my friend, whose father is a jeweler, said her dad swears this trick makes his rings shine. And after giving it a go, I can say that it's definitely the best jewelry cleaner I've ever tried!
I started by grabbing my favorite window cleaner, a microwaveable glass bowl, and an old toothbrush. With these supplies in hand, I headed to my kitchen and placed everything on the counter by the microwave. Step 2: Microwave a Bowl of Water
I filled my microwaveable bowl with half a cup of water and slid it into the microwave. I heated the water for around thirty seconds, until the bowl felt hot to the touch. You want it to be hot, but not boiling, so keep an eye on it, and add more or less time, depending on your microwave. Step 3: Add Window Cleaner
I took the bowl out of the microwave carefully, then grabbed my window cleaner. I added a few strong sprays of window cleaner to the bowl, so that bubbles gathered on top. Any window cleaner will do for this step.
When I was done, the water looked a little foamy. There's no need to mix the solution - the spray mixes it enough for this trick to work like magic. Step 4: Drop in Your Diamond Ring
Then, I just dropped my ring in. Plunk! I was tempted to sit and watch the grime just wash away, but I went to make myself a cup of coffee and left it to sit for ten minutes. Five minutes would probably have been enough, but my ring was reeeally dirty, so... Step 5: Gently Remove Grime with a Toothbrush
Ten minutes later, I was itching to see my sparkly ring, so I carefully fished it out of the water and grabbed the old toothbrush. I gave it a few light brushes to get the loosened grime out of the crevices, and then dried it off.
I slipped my ring back on and just enjoyed the shine. I felt kind of like a peacock admiring his feathers! Good as new.
A couple days later and it's still sparkling so strongly that it distracts me from work. I'm definitely trying this on my Grandmother's earrings, next!

Step 1: Gather Your Cleaning Supplies
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Dull diamond ring
  • Half a cup of water
  • Window cleaner

• Patti

Would I be able to use this on an opal with diamonds? I used to use an old toothbrush and toothpaste on most of my jewelry. But I was told it will scratch it . But I do know it really worked
    • Frances Goldston

No. Opals should not be exposed to hot or cold liquids. Gentle cleaning with a soft bristle tooth brush & warm water w/a few drops of dawn will do the trick. The dry & polish with a jewelry polishing cloth.

• Dixie

Denture tablets works very well also. Drop tablet in about half cup warm water and soak as long as u wish. Use tooth brush to clean crevices
  • Yofrendonna

jewelry cleaner works. Smells like ammonia/windex