Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.com
Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.com
  • Kendallville, IN
Asked on Jun 20, 2013

What would you do with these chairs?

Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.comKathy FranzShirley Anderson
+22

I paid $5 for both. They both sit low. I think the one on the left is an antique, but they are both UGLY!!!! I'm interested in all your great ideas so I can restore these and sell them.
what would you do with these chairs, home decor, painted furniture
  • Angie

oh wow, these are beautiful ! I just bought some "ugly" cane chairs off Craigslist and am in the process of making them pretty again! Why don't you recover them? Here is the post it just added: http://pintorella.com/cane-chair-makeover-part-1/

• Barbara Thomas

I wouldn't paint or stain them because it will lower the value. I'd do new filer/batting and recover in material that fits the time period. You should get a nice price.

• Sfg178760

I really love the wood, so I would not paint them. Re-upholstering is what is needed...but depending on what you are into...either a vintage style material, something modern to make the chair funky, or the burlap look! I do not how to re-upholster, so good luck with. And if you are good at it...I have a mid century chair that needs some love! o)

• Kim C

I disagree with painting them making them not good for resale, the antique store I have a booth in sells large volumes of 'painted' antiques, the one on the right would look great in Annie Sloan Old White or a Miss Mustard Seed Milk paint. Re-upholstery is a must and grain sack inspired look is extremely hot, Home Depot has great drop cloths for re-upholstery as well. I recommend looking around in some shops in your area and see what's selling there. Everyone around here wants Grandmas stuff just not Grandmas look:-).

• Lisa's Creative Designs

Paint 'em! I am not sure people are looking for antique wood furniture in their homes these days. I think more people appreciate the fresh look of painted furniture. Plus you didn't pay much for them in the first place. I would paint them in a soft white, green or blue, distress them to bring out the details in in the wood and redo them in an up- to- date fabric. www.fabric.com has tons of fun fabrics at good prices.

• Corky Harper

I would agree with most so far. To paint these would be a shame. I always mean to sway anyone away from painting any beautiful hardwood. Painted wooden furniture hides what any piece has to say to you with it's grain. Like adding sugar to a fine wine to meet up with someones expectation of what they wanted the wine to taste like instead of listening to what it had to offer that made it a fine wine in the first place. Those chairs beauty started a good many years before they became those chairs. Don't mute them and what they have to say with paint. I'd also upholster with a period fabric. Maybe a dark tapestry, paying extra attention to good quality batting and filler Might even punch up the springs in the Oak overstuff on the left.They are both beautiful pieces If you only paid five dollars for both of those chairs, i only. wonder if you can even sleep at night. I guess if it was the asking price then, 2 shay, but if you had to talk them down. You should be selling ice to Eskimos. LOL If you really find you need to paint something, go and find a barn.

• Doreen Nestell

I am really interested in seeing what they come out too. I have a beauty I am working on as well. I got mine junking so it needs a total redo. I am starting it tomorrow with my friends Grandma's chair cushion. God's grace, peace, light, and love to you always in Jesus' Service

• Tammy

I wouldn't paint them either and if the chair on the right has hand stitching it would an criminal to destroy beautiful handwork that someone spent hours and hours stitching. Needlework is a much under valued art form but if the fabric can be salvaged, someone who appreciates the art form will value and preserve such a beautiful piece.

• Janie Gilgert-Seese

have them redone and sell if you don't like them

• Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.com

Thanks for all the input! I have only slightly thought about painting them. I was more thinking about staining them darker. They both do need reupholstered. The fabric is tired, at best on both. The green is difficult to even look at! I a little want to use Annie Sloan or miss mustard, but I'm not committing to paint just yet. Would anyone repurpose them? How about adding legs, funking them up and turning them into bar stools?!?!? Idk. Keep thinking and letting me know! And Corky Harper, just so you know, my mom wanted to put the left one on the side of the road (free). I showed a pic to my secretary and her husband had bought the one on the right for $5 at an auction. She saw my mom's and knew I had to have it!

• Kathy Franz

i wouldnt paint them i would recover them - although the green one with the stencil art is slightly more beautiful and would be horrible to ruin

• Larose LoganOakes

These chairs are gorgeous! That's what makes this country great! The ability to have your own opinion. I read a post tonight where someone had painted their ugly old sofa with some Anne Sloan Chalk Paint and yes I am talking about the fabric not the wood.I would leave the wood alone!I will see if I can find that post for you and yes you should be able to get a good price for these chairs.http://www.hometalk.com/search?filter=%23anniesloan here is the posting where the lady painted her throw pillows to her couch with the Anne Sloan Chalk Paint.

• Barbara Thomas

If you would love the chairs funky to use your self, then go for it. However, for resale I wouldn't change the original wood at all. Recover, new padding, if you are handy at that using a vintage look material in keeping with the period of the style. People collecting furniture for a Victorian renovation are crazy about these pieces.

• Cynthia

If the one has real needlework, I would trim that and frame it. I more modern print would update the chairs for today. Depending on fabric you could either paint or stain. In my area I find most people l like antique pieces painted and distressed alittle. I'm a fan stain. Always different then the majority. :)

• Nora

Two ideas, be sure to see the whole post: I was happy to read your willingness to repurpose them because the whole time I was reading comments I was thinking that these would be great as desk chairs for some creative entrepreneur--maybe in a home office. I don't have an opinion about painting the wood, but I'd consider a nice cushy reupholstery and adding a base that rolls, raises and lowers. Or, re-do them nursery style and turn them into rocking chairs for new moms!

• Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.com

Nora!!! Those are the ideas I'm looking for! Great!!! Thanks!

• Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.com

There's no needlework on the right chair.

• Tammy

If there is no needlework, then I would reupholster the chairs and leave the wood alone. Personally, real wood always wins out over painted.

• Venita

As a Interior designer the first thing I would do is some research on the style and time period of these chairs.If they are valuable period pieces they could loose their value by painting or reupholstering them especially the chair with the needlework.Perhaps you can contact "Antique Roadshow" on PBS. Otherwise I would paint the chairs as it can ad a new modern look to tired old fashioned chairs such as these. Then have your upholster ad more cushioning as the green chair looks flattened. Then upholster in a modern fabric to match your decor.

• Carol Richardson

turn them into planters look in gardening that's what i would

• Tracy Bromage

If they sit low and you want to resell, I would think abut who your client would be .I think I would direct it to nursery or porch people. :D I would reupholster in a fabric that has the focus. Spend a little more on great fabric choice. After all you only paid $5 (great find by the way) I would white wash the frame or choose a colour out of your fabric to compliment. Make a cushion to add extra something. If a client can see the "purpose" of the item they will be more willing to buy.

• Jessica Dunbar

Hi! Love the style of these chairs too! Could they be so low because they were rockers at one time? I like your bar stool idea and as for paint I vote yes. I would salvage the tapestry and either make a pillow or frame it. Maybe one of the the fabric pieces could be made into a small purse. I love old tapestry and needlework.I too hope you share your final decision with us.

• Shirley Anderson

Re upholster and strip, paint with chalk paint maybe?

• Kathy Franz

so what was the final decision on the chairs?

• Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.com

Kathy, I just went to look for fabric today! Then, I started taking the old fabric off. I have a fabric picked out for sure for the darker one, but am still deciding on the other chair. I kind of think I'll be changing my mind with these chairs as I go. I am going to need to work on the wood too.