Ivylore
Ivylore
  • Trenton, MI
Asked on Jun 20, 2013

Is this a gardenia?

IvyloreMonica KochDeborah Sullivan
+8

There is a shrub growing in front of the house that gives fragrant white flowers- not a lot- woody shrub- I live in Michigan, so wasn't sure if gardenias grow in this area
tall shrub- woody- small amount of fragrant flowers
  • Luis

Irma that does not look like any Gardenia that I know, besides gardenias are a tropical plant and the leaves are not of a Gardenia, but then again mother nature is always full of surprises,

• Ivylore

Hmmm, thanks Luis. I wonder what it could be.

• Deborah Sullivan

It looks like a Mock Orange to me. I have one that has the same looking leaves and flowers. It does smell good.

• Dorice Hartley

It looks like hibiscus

• Anja

I agree with Deborah, it looks like a mock orange.

• Deborah Sullivan

I posted a pic of my Mock Orange Irma. Check it out on my pics. Think it may be the last one posted.

• Ivylore

Deborah, I think that's it! Yours is much prettier than mine tho ;) thanks! P.S. your pictures are great! Your yard looks lovely!

• Deborah Sullivan

No Problem Irma. We're neighbors. I'm in Toledo. Nice to meet you. This bush gets quite tall and round. I trim it usually after it is done flowering. It grows fast.

• Ivylore

Great! Have relatives in Toledo! Thanks for the info, My bush is surrounded by rose of sharon bushes, so it gets "over-shadowed"- is it worth getting rid of the rose of sharon bushes around it to let it stand alone? PS- it is in the front of the house.

• Monica Koch

It is a mock orange. It would bloom earlier than the Rose of Sharon Hibiscus however so unless you are cramped for space I would leave it. Be carefule with the Rose of Sharon's though as they can get quite large, I have one (8 years old) that's over 10' tall and 6' wide. It's usually just covered with humming birds once in bloom.

• Ivylore

Thanks, Monica! Humming birds! I haven't seen one in my yard for several years- that must be a beautiful sight!