Colour In The Kitchen! #SPiTchallenge #CREATiVEJUICE

Before I start this post, here is my disclaimer: I'm in the middle of refinishing my kitchen, so please ignore the MESS on my counters! This post is about that oak veneer panel beside my fridge ( far left in the picture). It's been looking at me funny throughout the whole refinishing process, and I thought " I have to do something different with this!"
Before
This is what I'm doing to my kitchen. ( the uppers are done here, minus the doors!) I'm painting the inside of the cupboards and shelves, and restaining the outside and doors. But I digress... That light teal colour is my accent colour, so I wanted to tie that into the oak panel somehow. So naturally, I turned to my Unicorn SPiT Stain and Glaze!
First I sanded down the panel and applied one coat of the Minwax stain that I'm using on my cupboards. When that dried, I applied a second coat in random areas. Those are the darker spots you see in the picture.
Next I sanded down the areas in between the dark spots, where I was going to apply the Unicorn SPiT.
To tie in my accent colour, I used Navajo Jewell, Zia Teal, and Blue Thunder. I used a paintbrush and applied the SPiT in long strokes on the bare spots.
Here it is drying...
And two coats of Minwax Poly later, we have this! I love how it turned out! And once my cupboard doors are back on, it will definitely be the conversation piece in the kitchen.
Love how Unicorn SPiT makes the wood grain pop! If you're interested in trying Unicorn SPiT for yourself, you can order it at www.unicornspit.com. And check out my page for more colourful transformations! Www.facebook.com/monafurniture.
Unfortunately, my photography skills aren't top notch, so the pictures don't do it justice. But lucky me, I get to see it in person everyday :). Thanks for reading!
Update: Ok here is the finished kitchen! It's hard to get a good close up of the panel and the rest of the kitchen at the same time, but this should give you an idea of how all the colours tie in!
Before

13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window

• Mary

I have medium brown veneer cabinets and I am totally chicken to paint them white, and can't afford to have them re-finished. (I have 21 cabinets and 6 drawers) I love how yours came out! Can you tell me what color you used to darken the cabinet outsides? and how much you needed? and what were the steps you used. Totally excited now to freshen up my cabinets, since I've seen yours!

• Shay

I am also inspired by the wheat design on the cabinets! are they carved, photo, etc? Much appreciated!

• Tracy Downing

Hi! They are carved into the cabinets. I painted them black to make them stand out.

• Tammy Jo

It look good

I think that if you did your island the same way would make your kitchen look even bettet

• Margo

I love it!! Great job

• Robbie

i love the unicorn spit!!..the end result looks exactly like the Rainbow Trees in Hawaii!!...Beautiful..i think doing the island could be pretty, but i love that one wall..very rustic..kinda