Bookshelf Makeover - How to Add Curtains to Bookshelf

A blah garage sale find to wow craft supplies storage bookshelves.
bookshelf makeover how to add curtains to bookshelf, how to, shelving ideas
Disassemble the shelf and wipe it clean with all purpose cleaner.
Paint 2 coats of Americana decor chalky finish for the whole shelf expect for the back portion. In some places it took three to four coats to mask the stains that was already there.
Once the paint is dry, attach the contact paper to the back portion of both the shelves. I just used a piece of paper folded in thirds to block the holes while sticking the contact paper.
As I thought the fabric I got to make curtains for this bookshelf(Llama printed fabric) had many colors and the bookshelf seemed to be too plain.To bring a balance, I decided to create a pattern on the trim of the bookshelf. For this, I used washi tape(That is what I had in hand) but you can use painter's tape. I made a pattern similar to chevron(as the trim was small for a whole chevron pattern
) as the fabric had chevron in it.
Paint the pattern in desired colors. I used 3 to 5 coats of acrylic paint for the triangles and grey chalky finish paint for chevron pattern. I used black sharpie paint pen to outline the pattern on the trim.
Now it is time for curtains, hammer two nails on the corners of the trim.Use a thick wire or a small sleet curtain rod itself. I used a leather suede cord to act as curtain rod.
Sew curtains by measuring the length of the bookshelf. I used a bulk elastic band as curtain holdbacks. And the bookshelf is now done.
For detailed steps and pictures, visit the blog link below. Hope you like this makeover. Let me know if you need more clarifications in the comments below.
Sahana

• Cresence

I can’t tell if it’s about the same height as the one I’d like to ‘attempt ‘.

Do u have it secured in the back for tip over possibility? That’s the part that makes me nervous as I’m sure my little sweetie will be frequenting as her reading nook, special babies area... so a lot of handling within it...

how unstable was urs?! Before or after... dependent on what it’s final use was.

thsnks for input. Grammies fighting this deteriorating situation of mine, so focusing on my grandloves!

• ShelbyNeen

March 2017 ?

Woah this is an old post. However, I do like this idea.

• Jewell Martin

This happens to be the first time I’ve seen this post, and I love it. I was going to decoupage greeting cards on the inside of a bookcase. I like what you did with yours so much better. I don’t have any fabric I like, or the right Contact paper, but I have paints and lots of ideas now. Thanks for a really great idea! ☺️